Shen-Hao Weakness?

chris_dollar

Chris, it would help if you would elaborate a little more on why you are asking this question. Are you contemplating the purchase of a Shen Hao? Also, be aware that at least two 4X5 Shen Hao models are presently being marketed in the US. Which model are you referring to? The Shen Hao HZX45AII model that my wife owned had a heck of a lot of features for a camera in it's price range. Areas where the camera could be improved? Sure there were some of those. But what can you expect for under $650? The Shen Hao is not a Wisner, Gandolfi, or an Ebony. However, I believe it can hold it's own against the Tachihara, Wista, Zone VI, or Horseman Woodman cameras. It certainly has more rear movement capability than any of those cameras. The HZX 45AII also has an interchangeable bellows option. It's a great camera for the money.

I had the $475 model. It fulfilled my 4x5 field camera requirements. Though in the end, as a matter of personal taste, I opted for a metal monorail, I don't hesitate recommending it to anyone wanting a folding wooden field camera. Read the specs, if they are adequate, by all means buy it, it's a remarkable bargain, attractive and functional.

CXC

The Shen-Hao, while a good camera, has a few flaws. I used one for a few months, and was pretty happy with it. However, in the end I sold it since I felt that it was not exactly what I wanted. Most importantly, and this may have been my camera, but I found both the finish on both metal and wood to be a bit shoddy. After a weeks use, the black paint on the metal started to flake off, and I found the varnish to be very soft, I could easily mark it with my fingernail.

Although most folks comment that 12" extension is a bit short, I found the bellows very inflexible, even the bag bellows.

While it never gave me any problems, I never quite trusted the way that the graflock ground-glass frame was held on with a few small screws.

I like having my lens be able to fit inside the camera when it is folded. To do this with the Shen-Hao it was necessary to reverse the lensboard. Not difficult, but annoying, especially considering the size of the camera.

Lastly, like most Japanese cameras which use the technika-boards, the fit was not the way that Linhof designed (this may however be a legal or patent issue) so a number of Linhof-made adaptors wouldn't work quite right. I don't exactly recall but it had something to do with a little screw on the bottom of the front standard.

Chris, I have only had my camera for 1 week, but after 2 intensive days of shooting, here is what I have found. Mine is the $465.00 model.

(1)Spring steel on the back are weak. I use an older, metal 545 Polaroid back. I feel that because of it's weight, added care must be taken to insure that the back is closed tight against the holder. Slight fogging revealed this in a short time.

(2)The rear standard needs some strengthening, it has a fair amount of unwanted movement when locked down.

(3)Bed focus locks are a bit small, if you have large fingers. Same for front swing.

(4)Indents for front & rear tilts are a bit cumbersome, but very functional.

On the positive side. I love this camera! Easy to use, light, good craftsmanship. I look forward using this camera for as long as I used the one it replaced, the old metal B&J Orbit monorail (grey with red bellows). I used that beast for over 25 years!

Chris I would recommend that you buy the camera, if possible go see one first and put your hands on it.

Ed

I've had mine for a little over a year. It is the 625 USD model from Badger Graphic. Weaknesses? It has developed a little "character", i.e. brassing, where my fingers work the black laquered metal parts. Also the ground glass could be brighter. However, if you never use lenses longer than about 270 mm (or you use telephotos) it would do for a lifetime, I think. I think eventually I'll upgrade for something with more bellows draw, but it will be awhile before I do that. I'm quite happy with mine. Movements are comparable to much more expensive cameras. True I did have to file the edge on two lens boards to get them to fit right--just enough to remove the paint. This took about 5 minutes. I'm not sure, however, if this was due to the camera or to the lensboards themselves, which seem to vary somewhat because of how they are painted. Built in levels would be nice--I carry a torpedo level to get things well aligned. Go for it.