Phoenix or Vivitar

lituramentico

Is it true that all Vivitar production is made by Cosina? This is pretty interesting for me. in fact I have several lenses with exotic names such as "Montgomery ward" and more popular "JC penny", but as far as I know they are produced by famouse Japan manufactures, so the quality is not so bad. For me is attractive the price of these lenses.

Both are equally poor, in my view, even the Sigma 18-35 (f/3.5-4.5) or Sigma 17-35 (f/2.8-4) is not to my expectation.

I think Tamron 17-35 (f/2.8 - 4) is pretty good. Tokina 19-35 is of average quality but depending on batch, some batch are pretty poor, no doubt.

According to most reviews the Tokina 19-35 and the Tamron 19-35 are much bettrer, and they do not cost much more, probably around 250 dollars. I like the Tokina, I have it myself, not perfect maybe, but really quite good for such an affordable ultrawide. Good luck!

Daniel

I strongly suggest you check out some of the lens review web sites like photodo.com or photographyreview.com. You'll find that many of these generic third party lenses for Minolta - like the Phoenix and Vivitar - are of poor quality and poorly made. Good used wide angle Minolta lenses can be had on eBay for a fraction of their original price. You get what you pay for.