Differences between the Autocord models

wolfgang_dreher

FYI, this question would be more likely to receive knowledgeable answers from the folks on the Medium Format Forum. I'm not an expert on Autocords, although I am familiar with TLRs in general. I believe that all the Autocords use the same 75mm f3.5 chinoyo-Rokkor lens that is a very high quality copy of the Zeiss Tessar (many folks think that it's better than the Tessar). The differences across models for the Autocord involve the ability to use 220 film, and also which ones have a CdS meter. As I'm not an Autocord expert, I'm not certain which ones have which feature. I would caution that there is one particular trouble spot with Autocords: the focus mechanism uses a lever at the bottom of the camera that is bent at a 90 degree angle. Often, this lever breaks off at the 90 degree bend, and once that happens, the repair is problematic and not as rugged as it should be, and often breaks off again. The camera is quite hard to focus if this piece is broken. In buying any Autocord, look very closely at this focusing lever to see if there are any cracks or repairs to this lever at the 90 degree bend. If there is evidence of metal fatigue or a repair, don't buy that unit.

Try this site for info on Minolta Autocords:

http://www.wctatel.net/web/crye/a-cord.htm

This site covers all Autocords but only Autocords, not Minoltacords, Minoltaflexs, etc.;

and also this discussion group:

minoltautocord at groups.yahoo.com

The concern about the focusing lever is valid, but the knob or barrel is on a pin that is just pressed/flared through the lever and can be replaced.

The last-models 1965 Autocord Model III and 1965 Autocord Model CDSIII are the two models that can switch between 120 film and longer 220 film. All earlier Autocords use 120 film.