Lense info, filter needs for MC Rokkor-PF 58mm 1.4

s_p5

Good afternoon everyone!

I just recently got a used MC Rokkor-PF 58mm 1.4 lens for my Minolta

x-700. I am a novice, so please bear with me.

Can someone tell me a little bit about this lens and if it is a good

all purpose use lens? I had a regular 50mm 1.7 lens before, but lost

it and now I have this one (long story).

Also, is it necessary to have a filter for a lens? Which is the best

and what is a price I should expect to pay for a used one? I was

reading on this site that the Tiffen Haze 1 is recommended.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm glad that there are

still people out there supporting good old cameras like these

Minoltas.

Best wishes,

Sharon

It's an excellent all purpose lens. I am sure you will love it. Since it is a bit older, it would especially benefit from use of a lens hood to prevent flare.

To use or not to use a protective filter is a philosophical question - some people swear by them, others think it's a waste of time. For a lens that can as easily and cheaply be replaced if you ever had an accident like the MC Rokkor-PF 58mm 1.4, I'd say a protective filter is a waste of time. Also, a filter will make the lens even more prone to flare (simply because it's a flat glass surface, not a rounded one), and you might want to avoid that.

If you do want to use a protective filter, the Tiffen Haze 1 would be a good choice.

Remember that you need to manually set the lens to its smallest f/stop (f/16?) if you want to use X-700 in P mode.

<p>

Look at <strong>3.1.2 Can I use MC lenses on an XD- or X- series camera?</strong> and <strong>3.1.3 Making an 'MD lug' mod</strong> at Chris Valentine's et al <a href="http://www.35mm.freeserve.co.uk/mug/mf-lenses.html"> Minolta MF FAQ <http://www.35mm.freeserve.co.uk/mug/mf-lenses.html>. </a>

Well, you've bought a real gem of a lens. This is one of the sharpest lenses I have ever tested. What's great about it is that it is better at f1.4 than many 50's at f2.8. As a low light lens it is beyond compare. I like it so much I bought a spare (very cheap) in case I damage it. I don't bother with a filter, but the hood is a good idea. Enjoy it!

Some people say the newer 50/1.4 is better, but when I tested my individual 50/1.4 against my 58/1.4, the 58 came out ahead: less spherical aberration (i.e., sharper in the center), less coma (i.e., sharper at the edges) and less light fall off in the corners at f/1.4, f/2 and f/2.8. Stars in astrophotos were perfectly sharp to the corners by f/2.8. The only thing that may not be as good with this lens is flare, which is why everyone says buy a hood. Enjoy it!

I agree with the last two posters that this is a great lens. It's under-rated and undervalued because it's an MC lens, because it's a prime, and because it's a slightly odd focal length. But I find 58mm to be very usable, and the large aperture makes it still more versatile. This one plus a 28mm makes a great two-lens set. Re filters, I've only ever used a polarizer on mine, and that only in particular situations to cut reflections or haze. Definitely get a lens hood.