What are the best 300mm zooms for the Maxxum 5?

tony_potter1

Hi, I see a lot of specific lense questions, but I am wondering about

anyone's experiences with 300mm (or around there) telephoto lenses

with Minolta. Some people seem to hesitate to invest in too many

accessories for 'just' a Minolta...but I love my Maxxum 5, its the

fastest camera Ive used (I hear Hasselblad is using their shutter?),

and I want to get a nice zoom for it. With brands like Sigma, Vivitar,

Tamron, and Minolta lenses, which are the best for the money I should

spend for my setup? Any related comments on the subject would be

appreciated. No grumpiness! =P Thanks a lot guys~

Well, i've gotten laughs upon it being seen, but I've mounted the 300mm Minolta G series on it before. I've got the 300/4 but the 300/2=.8 is the same size. I have the 7 now, but when I had the 5, it did quite well with the 300. The focusing is quite fast, and couple that with the 4fps and I was able to capture some great sports images. AMAZING lens. If you're lucky, you can pick up a used one for around $500 on ebay. Oh, yah, the glass, phenominal. I've made some 20x24's with 200, that you couldn't see any grain on.

Jesse, as someone who is also comparing and looking at Minolta telephoto lenses, I strongly suggest you skip the zoom route and shoot for a prime. At long distances that would require a 300mm lens, you would most probably want to have a fast lens. At the 300mm range right now you can spend $2000 for the f/2.8 version Minolta, about 3/4 that for a third party lens. For about $600 you can get the Minolta f/4 and about 7/8 of that for a Sigma or Tokina lens. I am hoping for the 200mm HS APO version for about $400 and wisely considering the 1.4 teleconverter to make it an f/4 lens. I think you should shop around with the camera and think about what you are going to be shooting. Sports- faster lens the better; wildlife - faster lens would give you more range with quick moving animals and birds in shadows, etc. Just one Minolta lover's opinion.

Since you asked about zooms (and every one else is talking primes to you), I recommend the Minolta 100-300 APO. Mine is very sharp, especially at the 300mm end. Yes, I know, not as sharp as a prime, but for a little $300 new compared to $2000, I'll have to live with that.

If you want something a little stronger. I recently picked up the Minolta 500mm f/8 Cat lens and so far I'm happy with it, especially since I got it in mint condition for $150.