9Xi or 800SI :Advice for a complete begginer.

miguel_rodriguez3

Hi there, I am a bit sorry to be asking questions about comparisons

all the time but I am sure you guys have more knowledge of Minolta

equipment than I do. A friend of mine wants to buy a camera to get

started and I suggested Minolta, so we took a look at used cameras

at a local shop and they have a 9xi and a 800si, which is more

expensive. He wants to use a second hand camera just in case he

decides photography is not his hobbie. I would go for a new 5 myself

but the price of the 9xi is 50% of the 5, and the 800si is almost as

expensive as the 5. So, what would you suggest?? Thanks for your

help.

Well, I have both and love them a lot. The 800si is newer but not necessarily any better than the 9xi. He really can't go wrong with either. I know it's not much help, but in all honesty, the only better aspect to the 800 is that it has a pop up flash and for a beginner, it may be helpful.

I hope this helps...a little

The 9xi was a professional camera, so it is more robust (dust-proof, can stand knocks better...). The 800si is a later generation, very well equipped upper-level amateur camera. The layout of the si series controls is (in my opinion) more user friendly than the xi. So: for heave use (or if you just like the robust feel) go for the 9xi, while for general picture taking the 800si might be more useful.

Georg

I've had a 800si for the last 5 yrs and would highly recommend it. It's packed with features and very easy to use. The auto focus is quite fast compared to the 700/600si models. One of the best features for someone just starting out with the 800si is the "P" button which resets the camera to its program or default settings. It's great if you've played around with aperature/focus/shutter/meter settings and you just want to ensure you're in program (default) setting before snapping that next picture.

I recently bought a Maxxum 9 which for me is about the closest thing to a perfect body (camera that is). Having said that I won't part with my 800si because I still enjoy using it.

Miguel, go for the 800si. I owned the camera for several years. Before buying, I had to make the same decision. I chose the 800si since it was a newer body, faster autofocus, decent built in flash, no need for Minolta cards, builtin data memory, and nice grip. I never tried the 9xi, but the above list still holds.

Elie