dominic_chiao

I currently have a Minolta 7000i bought years ago. I am considering

buying a Maxxum 7 body; however, I found it appears that nowadays most

of the Minolta products are made in China while my old body is made in

Japan.

I was thinking about ordering online so I didn't go to a store to

check out the actual Maxxum 7 body. Could anyone tell me if it is also

made in China? Thanks in advance.

That's not necessarily true. For one thing not all BMW and MB are made in the US, the best

ones are still made in Germany. And for another thing just because a product isn't made

in one country doesn't mean its of a lower quality. The Minolta 7 does not suffer in the

least from quality issues due to its being made outside of Japan, the body is the same

quality just made at lower cost and if you have such high standards about where your

camera body is made it seems you would be buying a Leica.

I think you'll find that Japanese companies are extremely tight about quality control, no matter where the manufacturing plant is located. Quality control systems are generally designed to cover for the most useless and imbecilic workforce imaginable, no matter what country they're from. That's why it's called "fool-proofing".

Which isn't to say that a lemon doesn't occasionally escape...

Fjallraven and even Ajungilak sleeping bags are made in Vietnam. Salomon boots are made in Romania. My eastpak bag is also made in the far east. All dutch and danish beers are made in the country where they sell it.

Fifty years ago anything "made in Japan" was considered crap in the US and Western Europe. 25(or more?) years ago the explosion of the japanese quartz controlled wristwatches made the swiss watch lose its 90% market share.

Try to get rid of paradigms. With respect,

Csab'.

Intriguingly though, the MAxxum 7 Special Edition (no longer made) was made in Japan, and aren't the better Maxxum lenses still made in Japan? I'm not sure why some lenses and bodies are still made by Minolta in Japan and others in Malaysia? I have to say that quality control on Minolta scanners leaves a lot to be desired, but their cameras and lenses seem better...