I am a Nikon user but the other day I was looking through the used

section of my local photo shop when I spotted a used Minolta X-700

with 1.7 50mm for $260CDN which I found to be in **perfect**

condition. As I know very little about Minoltas could someone tell

me if this is a good deal or not? Thanks in advance for all your

help!

Best wishes,

--Dominic

That's roughly what you would pay if you bought one from KEH in excellent plus condition - they currently have one on offer for US$199. They are less on eBay - average probably around US$100 - but of course there is a higher risk involved, and you never know the condition before you hold it in your hands.

Assuming that the camera came with a decent warranty you got a good deal, but not a super bargain - Minoltas tend to be far cheaper than Nikons. The best news for you might be that this holds true for a wide range Minolta's fantastic Rokkor lenses as well - all of which you can use on your X-700. You got a fantastic camera. The X-700 has a very loyal and enthusiastic user base.

Yes it's a good deal. I have a few and they're solid. For that price you should get 7 to 14 day return privilege - put a roll or two through it and if it seems good then it is good. The only problem I've had with mine is the film counter is the first thing to go. Never have found the second thing. The only accessory that I had a little difficulty getting was an off-camera cord (the X-700 supports TTL flash with any Minolta flash with a "PX" model number).

FYI, I have one that I was going to put on the auction site shortly for a $130 U.S. Buy Now with the same 50mm f1.7 lens. It's in legitimate Ex+ shape (just a couple of very tiny wear spots on the corners, and functionally perfect) and I'll offer a 10 day guarantee on it.

My experience is that these sell for $100 - $150 on ebay depending on the condition, the reputation of the seller, and whether they stand behind the camera). At a reputable camera store, they sell for between $150 and $200 depending on condition. The one you found is in that range. If it's really **perfect** as in true Mint or Mint- condition, it's a great deal. If it's legitimately in Ex or Ex+ condition, you can do a bit better.

Though they're a little less common today, X-700s were probably the most prevalent body on many Canadian camera stores' "used" shelves a few years ago--proof of their durability and popularity. They're more-or-less equivalent to a Nikon FE2 in terms of features and accessories.I saw a raft of them on offer at one of Toronto's semi-annual photo swap meets recently for around $Cdn 150-250 with 50/1.7s. Somewhere around $Cdn 250 or less for a very clean example with a pristine 50/1.7 and a reasonable warranty and/or return privileges seems fair. Anyone touting their eBay wares should quote you a price in Cdn$+shipping+GST; only citing a US$ price is a bit misleading.