35 f2 vs 20 f2.8...sharpness

ironcloud

Forget sharpness (both are excellent). The real question should be what you're looking for in terms of coverage and what you would use them for. Do you need the extremely wide coverage of the 20? Or do you need something more moderate in the 35? Also consider your existing lens kit and where either lens would fill in.

Thanks Danny...

Problem is that...with my lack of photography experience, I can't really tell the difference in term of coverage between these two lenses...since I've never seen these two focal length compared side by side...the only thing I know is that, theoretically 20 is wider than 35...sigh....anyhow....i'm about to use a wide-angle lense to shoot group of people (say 50 of them)...and looking for a wide space feeling...I'm sort of incline towards 35 (since is cheaper), I'm not sure if it is enough for my purpose...?

I don't think the 20mm is a good lens for a large group portrait. I think the inherent distortion in a lens that wide would give an awkward rendition of the group. For large groups, I would probably go with the 35mm and just step back as far as needed.

Both lenses are reputed to very sharp. Their strengths lie in their ability to be sharp wide open. However, it's all moot anyway since for your shot, you'll probably want to stop down to f/8 or more to make sure everyone is in focus.

uhm...I'm now sorta pulled by both lenses to the left and to the right at the same time =D...you know what guys...since these two lenses are both good as you say, and all of you have good reasons to convince me...I'll just go to the store and try myself and feel the wideness before I make any decision~

Thanks a lot guys!!!

I think you should never buy a 20mm lens as your first wide angle. It's TOO wide for most purposes, and it gives an exaggerated wideangle perspective, which can be a great effect when you want it, but overbearing when you DON'T want it. To my mind, assuming that you already own a 50mm lens, you would be much better off with the perspective of a 28mm lens. If you DON'T already have a normal lens, then the 35mm is a good slightly wide/almost normal prime lens that could do nicely. And any of these lenses is plenty sharp. It's all about what you wish to do with it.

I am also relatively new to photography and I agree with Douglas, 20mm seem to be just too wide for portraits or indeed, any use where you are not especifically looking for that 'wide' effect. I really like the 28mm and I don't think you would have problems with that focal length. I guess that just going a little further back will bring everyone into the frame without much 'wide' distortion. so, in few words, get yourself a 28mm f2.8 and learn how to use it before you invest serious money in something wider.

There is a reason there are so many 28mm primes in the world - and that is because they are a great wide ange lens. A 20mm is not a wide angle - it is an ULTRA-wide angle. It is most useful for architectural shots and interiors, not for general photography except when in very confined spaces or when a specific perspective is sought.

The 28mm is cheap and very sharp, and if you subsequently like wide angles, get the 20mm later.