and have recently got a Minolta AF 50mm 1:7 which I have really

noticed the difference in quality with, I got it on ebay for £50 and

for the price i think it's a great little lens, so I have decided to

expand my lens collection a bit further, I like the convenience of

the zoom lens but I have heard from many people that the 28-80

minolta AF lens that I have is OK but not brilliant, I was thinking of

getting a fixed focus 24/28mm 2:8 AF wide lens, and selling my

28-80 and maybe getting a better quality zoom lens, anyone else

got a similar kit and can recommend some good quality lenses?

thanks

Jim

If you like the convenience of a zoom and can stand a bit of distortion, the 24-85 is a very sharp lens. I really like my 24-85 for general photography, and it's the lens I use the most on my AF Minolta. Further, Minolta's introduction of the 24-105 has made it easy to find good deals on the 24-85 lens. Note that the 24-85 is not a D-lens (like the 24-105), so it will not be able to use the D-flash feature in your 5. Search on the google for opinions of the 24-85...

A good lens will certainly make a world of difference, and in the photo world,

unfortunately, you get what you pay for. I'm a pretty big fan of the 24-105. the D

function is fun -- on the Maxxum 7 it can even show you the depth of field, in feet

and meters, in front of and behind your subject. I say "pretty" big fan, for it isn't the

sharpest in the world. Tons better than the 28-80 consumer lens I had back in the

day, but I believe it's slightly soft at 24. It's attached to my body 90% of the time,

though.

I believe I'll snag a 17-35mm 3.5 G if I can find one on the used market for a

reasonable price. (And by 'reasonable' I mean "less than an arm and a leg.")

Many people swear by fixed lenses, but I like the flexibility of a zoom, myself. Finally,

Minolta's 50mm 1.7 (and the f/1.4 that I have) are outstanding little lenses. Fully

open they're ultra-fast and pleasantly soft, excellent for portraiture. I heartily

recommend replacing the 28-80. (ps: pardon my rambling, coffee hasn't

kicked in yet)

I'm one who swears by fixed focal length lenses. My 28/2,8, 35/2, 50/1.7, 100/2 135/2.8 and 50/2.8 macro get a lot of use and have all paid for themselves many times over. I do use a few zooms, including 70-210/4 and 24-50/4. With enlargements up to 12x18, these two zooms are nearly indistinguishable from primes. I'd like to say the same for 35-105, 28-85 and 28-105, all of which I have owned, and the only one I still use is the 28-105, for events. If you really like zooms, a good choice might be the new Tamron 28-75 2.8, whose only drawback would seem to be its oddball 67mm filter size.

A great Minolta picture taker is the 28-135 f/4-4.5. It will rival a prime through most of its range. With that said, it is very heavy, 72mm front, and will only focus to 5 feet. It is sharp wide open. A great bargin is the 28-85 f/3.5-4.5. Much less distortion than the 24-85. Like mine alot. For more reach, the 70-210 f/4 is a nice lens. I have not used the 24-50, but those who have them seem to love them. Good luck.

Get a 24-105 3.5/4.5 D Lens..you'll love it. Good all around lens, got the D system going on and you got a wide angle view with the 24 and a pretty good zoom to 105 for portraits and stuff...all around...really good lens...I even used it to shoot college basketball and the 105-24 worked great...just not the fastest lens, but still great...Want a telephoto? I just purchased the 75-300 D lens, again, not the fastest but im sure it'll work out great..I like the build of the lens but one thing I hate that it doesnt have is...a distance window to judge distance for focusing and the manual focus ring seems to be plastic and not rubber..(Im just picky sometimes though I still like it)..I jsut got it today so I havent used it..but I think I'll be more than pleased with it..I was using an older lens, 70-210, from a friend and it took some pretty good shots to for a consumer zoom lens..so im sure this will be even better.

If the 24 on the 24-105 isnt wide enough...I've heard some great things from the Sigma 15-30 lens...I plan on purchasing that lens next to complete my "system". By the way, I shoot a Maxxum 7, Sunpak Flash, own a 24-105 D, 75-300 D, and a 50 1.7...