Mounting Press questions

wayne_crider4

Years ago I bought an Insta Press heat seal machine that I put

aside and forgot. It has a top platen coated with teflon that heats

and a bottom one covered in silicone sponge rubber. The

machine is normally used to bond heat transfers to t-shirts.

Since the machine is doing nothing I was wondering if I can use

it as a mounting press for flattening my Ziatypes? I thought I

might need to lay another substrate on the bottom rubber. The

machine has digital heat readouts. How might this machine

differ from a regular mounting press, and what temperatures

does a mounting press produce?

My Seal 210m has adjustable heat. Most usually 190 to 200 degrees for Seal Colormount tissue. I would think that a lower temp for flattening of prints possibly 125- 150. I have no idea about your press as to the size of material that it would handle. But if the heat is controllable within the range mentioned, then it should work for photographic applications.

Wayne, I had a similar situation. The press worked just fine in that it had adjustable pressure, even pressure and was large enough. I had difficulty with the thermostat. It seems it was designed for the higher temperatures needed for fabric transfers and did not accurately hold the temp at the low end of the scale (where fiber prints are mounted.) I caused a few prints to blister from the heat. If your press can reliably hold the temps used for print mounting, then there is no reason you can't use it. Good luck!

Wayne, my new-to-me Seal 200 has a thermostat that goes from 180 - 350. Most dry mount tissue is meant to be used somewhere between 160 and 200, depending on brand (I just checked what LightImpressions offers in their catalog). I've been flattening my prints with it at 180 and it's been working great.

Is that what you are looking for?

-Jen