CES 2017, Nikon Announces D5600 in the US

ShunCheung

<p>The Consumer Electronics Show begins tomorrow, January 5, in Las Vegas. Nikon USA announced three new cameras, including the D5600 that has already been announced in other parts of the world. See this news articles about the D5600 on Nikon Japan's web site from 10th November, 2016, about two months ago: http://www.nikon.com/news/2016/1110_dslr_01.htm</p>

<P>

And this was the previous thread when Nikon initially announced the D5600 (everywhere else but the US):

<A HREF="http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00eE3g">Nikon Announces D5600 DSLR</A>

</P>

<p><strong>Nikon D5600:</strong></p>

<ul>

<li>With Nikon SnapBridge technology, seamlessly connects via Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), as well as Wi-Fi and NFC, facilitating easy sharing</li>

<li>24.2-MP high resolution CMOS sensor helps deliver sharp image quality</li>

<li>EXPEED 4 image processor and continuous shooting at 5 fps and 39-point AF system help capture fast moving objects with pinpoint precision</li>

<li>Offers amazing low-light performance with an expanded wide ISO 100-25,600 range</li>

<li>3.2-inch vari-angle LCD touchscreen makes it easy to activate image playback and cropping features when editing</li>

<li>Available January 2017 for a SRP of $799.95 with the AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR kit lens</li>

</ul>

<p><strong>COOLPIX W100:</strong></p>

<ul>

<li>Easy to use and rugged compact offering that anyone in the family can enjoy</li>

<li>Waterproof (32ft), shockproof (5.9ft), and freeze proof (14 degrees)</li>

<li>Supports Nikon SnapBridge to allow for seamless connectivity and photo-sharing</li>

<li>Equipped with a 13.2 MP sensor, 3x optical zoom and full HD 1080p video capabilities</li>

<li>Available March 2017 for a SRP of $159.95</li>

</ul>

<p><strong> </strong><br>

<strong>COOLPIX A300:</strong></p>

<ul>

<li>Ultra-thin and stylish design that can easily slip into a pocket</li>

<li>High-performance VR effectively reduces camera shake for greater stability</li>

<li>Boasts an 8x zoom and 16x Dynamic Fine Zoom</li>

<li>Connectivity and easy photo sharing when connected to a smart device via Nikon SnapBridge</li>

<li>Easy Operation with automatic functions such as Scene Auto Selector and Smart Portrait Mode</li>

<li>Available February 2017 for a SRP of $139.95</li>

</ul>

<p>Look like nice cameras but I'm struggling to understand the reasoning behind making a rather high resolution (24.2-MP) camera and equipping it with SnapBridge to encourage sharing on social media. Those files would be huge, and not lend themselves to sending via SnapBridge connected cell phone to Facebook/Twitter/Snapchat, unless you've got a great data plan.</p>

<p>The iPhone 7 has a 12MP camera built in. At full strength, I think even an "ancient" D100 or D70 at 6MP (3000x2000 pixels) would produce JPEG images that are way too big for social media display. Modern devices should be smart enough to automatically scale those images down before transmission and display.</p>

<p>Meanwhile, you also need to mega pixel count to attract consumers, even though not many of us really need as many as 24MP. Maybe that is why we need the RAW + JPEG Basic mode.</p>

<p>I am afraid that the 1"-sensor cameras is the sore point for Nikon at this moment. The three DL cameras were announced in late February last year and there is still no firm availability time yet: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00dlCM</p>

<p>Concerning the Nikon 1 mirrorless cameras, the last entry was the J5, introduce in April 2015: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00dDMu<br /> The last V series is the V3 introduced in March 2014: http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00cRlf<br /> That was almost 3 years ago. There also hasn't been any new Nikon 1 lens for quite a while.</p>

<p>I wonder what Nikon's mirrorless plan is.</p>

<p>In any case, the CES starts tomorrow, from January 5 through January 8. And the Nikon company was established on 25th July, 1917. We may see something to celebrate the 100-year anniversary around July.</p>

"And the Nikon company was established on 25th

July, 1917. We may see something to celebrate the

100-year anniversary around July."

It would have been Nippon Kogaku back then

surely?

Now a Nippon Kogaku labelled digital S3 would be something I'd definitely be interested in!

<blockquote>

<p>It would have been Nippon Kogaku back then surely?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Yes.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Now a Nippon Kogaku labelled digital S3 would be something</p>

</blockquote>

<p>IMHO, the last thing the world needs is another rangefinder camera, digital or otherwise.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><strong><em>I wonder what Nikon's mirrorless plan is.</em></strong><br /> Or if they have one.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Plans galore surely; whether there are any good ones is the question.</p>

Oh, like the 6x6cm TLR that wasted a quarter of its

image height if you printed on a standard paper

size? And was restrictive to composition if you kept the whole frame. No thanks! I have no problem turning a camera through 90 degrees or using a rotating back.

However I'd gladly say good riddance to Barnack's ill-chosen 3:2 ratio in preference for something

slightly closer to square.

<blockquote>

<p>However I'd gladly say good riddance to Barnack's ill-chosen 3:2 ratio in preference for something slightly closer to square.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Back to the "Nikon" format of 24x32 then? Call it "Mega-4/3"? Or rather a 24x30? Of course, without a mirror, there would be no need for the 24mm limitation, and only the one from the FX image circle remains (43.2mm diagonal); hence the sensor could be slightly larger than the dimensions given here.</p>

<p>Some of the F mount lenses may have internal flags that are rectangular to minimize internal reflections, this would mean that they would likely not cover a circular (or rectangular 30x30) sensor. I think 2:3 is a good practical compromise for sensor aspect ratio; many screens are 16:9 or 2:1 in aspect ratio; cropping from square to achieve that would be wasting a lot of sensor area. Yes, prints on paper are made as well, I do that a lot, but again paper sizes are usually close to 2:3 (outside of the US).</p>

<p>I usually remove restrictions on aspect ratio when cropping images in DxO (and I wish you could do that by default - at least it's on the main dialogue now). I've been known to go squarer for Photo.net so that I can make better use of the 1000x1000 pixel limit, but generally I'll crop artistically. I've no idea how much the golden section gets used, but 3:2 or even 16:9 aren't uncommon. With big sensors, the wasted area matters for cost, and there's not much of a problem rotating the camera. I appreciate that squarer makes better use of the image circle, but for every TLR or 'blad example there's a GX617. For me, 3:2 is as good a compromise as any, and for a lot of modern viewing environments I don't see that going square would help.<br />

<br />

But I agree with Kent. I hope Nikon is saving something up for later in their anniversary year. (With the Kodak announcement, the odds on it being an F7 have just slightly shortened.) I <i>will</i> get a survey online - thanks to Nikon for not obsoleting it!</p>