Recurring problem with 5DII

caesar

<p>I went out to take some pictures today with my 5DII, and kept getting the following results:</p>

<p>https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhzTUFx4y_L8rqhTrQf994ED81CBKw</p>

<p>I've tried pulling both batteries, different CF cards, formatting the CF cards in the camera, reflashing the firmware, etc. The problem eventually goes away after pulling the battery multiple times, but it seems to be taking longer to correct the issue each time it comes up. Thoughts? The camera's out of warranty, of course. Ideas on how much it might cost to get fixed? Or would it not be worth it?</p>

<p>It seems strange it is happening on multiple cards and you are sure these are good cards that have the correct write speeds for the camera. Are you seeing this in camera too or just on the computer, are you using a card reader, is it going bad? Are you using a USB cable to download images off camera? If images in camera look good, try an alternate method for getting images on the camera. Next thought would be are the batteries getting old and they are not powering the camera at full power. These would be things you could try on your own to rule out possibly bad items. Try a new CF Card, one with write speeds rated for the camera or faster, try a new battery. If the camera is still having issues then, make your determination if it is worth sending to Canon for an estimate.</p>

<p>I see 5D MK IIs going for around $800 on the Craiglist and Amazon. To send a camera in for cleaning is $49 plus shipping, just an estimate not sure if the charge, there would be shipping though. <a href="https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/canon-maintenance-service?cm_sp=CSO-_-support/service-repair-_-CMS">LINK</a>.</p>

Cheers, Mark

<p>Looks like data corruption. Mostly due to hardware problems, wiring, connectors, failing HDD, etc. I'd start by checking usb cables, card reader, etc. Try to download from camera with a different usb cable, to a different computer, etc. (Visually) check the camera to CF card contactss. Issues like this take time to find the root cause.<br>

Batteries and firmware change won't help. If this is an internal camera wiring problem cleaning will not help either. </p>

<blockquote>

<p>"may be your CF card reader in camera is defective" <strong><em>Nilantha S.</em></strong></p>

</blockquote>

<p><strong>I agree</strong>; look deep into the area of the pins to see if any are bent. <br /> Bent pins in the card read assembly, depending on how a pin shorts out to another pin or ground, can cause a variety of symptoms or outright failure. <br /> <br /> This is why you should keep your CF cards in virtually <strong>sterile</strong> condition. One tiny bit of dust/debris/contamination inside the holes of the card, can cause a pin to be grabbed by the CF card. Which when the owner ejects it, can pull the pin out enough to cause misalignment when the next install occurs (Bending that loose pin over).</p>

<p><strong>BTW:</strong> SD cards by design don't experience this phenomenon...</p>