Mamiya 7II selling advice

del_prince

<p>Hello<br>

Regrettably I am selling all fathers camera equipment (DSLR & Film) who passed away recently, and would prefer the funds from the sale of his equipment returned back to his wife.<br>

I would return all of it in a heartbeat just to have him back.<br>

I'm unsure weather to sell each item individually or sell each body with the remaining lens and panoramic kit, any advice would be appreciated as what would be the most attractive option with the equipment below.</p>

<p>Mamiya 7II - Black (in original box)<br>

Maniya 7II - Silver (no box)<br>

80mm F4 L (in original box)<br>

43mm F4.5 L + Finder (in original box)<br>

150mm F4.5 L + Finder (no box)<br>

135 Panoramic Adapter Kit AD701 (in original box)<br>

(I'm assuming the eye pieces that come with the 43mm & 150mm lens is called the finder)</p>

<p>As the Panorama kit includes a take up spool that I removed from the silver Mamiya.<br>

The body no longer has a take up spool.<br>

Did the Mamiya 7II come fitted with a take up spool or is this additional equipment?<br>

The black Mamiya has a spool fitted.<br>

Thanks in advance.<br>

Del</p>

<p>To get the best price I would sell the bodies on their own, the lenses separately but with their matching viewfinder The take-up spool is usually the old spool from the previous film, so most photographers have a pile of them, does not bother me whether a camera comes with a spare spool or not. I have 750 transactions on Ebay and this is a good time to sell mamiya 7 gear, you should get good prices right now, I'll be selling some soon myself, but mine is Mamiya 7, not 7II which gets considerably more. Good luck<br>

p.s.- I also recently had to sell my fathers cameras and it can be hard to let go of them, but if you have no use for the gear and a grateful recipient for the funds, it just has to be done.....</p>

<p>I'd sell the bodies and lenses separately- which is what I did when I sold my Mamiya 7ii kit a few years ago. I also used eBay and I was pleased with what I got . </p>

<p>As far as I recall, each body came with one spool- the other arrives with the film roll. Whatever you do don't prejudice the completeness of a body for the sake of the much less popular and less expensive panorama kit , which in my experience didn't work too well anyway.</p>

<p>The only real dilemma comes about with the viewfinder for the 150mm lens. There are markings for this lens on the std. finder iirc and I think that finder may well have been an optional extra that many buyers chose not to get. So there's likely to be quite a few 150 lenses out there with no finder ( an opportunity) but many of those will have made a decision not to buy one ( a problem). </p>

<p>I would have replied to your posts much earlier, but this forum will only allow me two post per day.<br /><br /><br />Thank you Mag, Mark, & David for your responses, much appreciated.<br /><br />So sell the 150mm+ finder & 43mm + finder separate.<br /><br />I've done a quick completed items search eBay Australia+ Intl and there are no Mamiya 7 80mm F4 that have been sold.<br /><br />There two currently listed from Japan, but not sold.<br /><br />There are several Mamiya bodies for sale/sold with the 80mm lens, and wondering because off the body's 80mm FOV, the 80mm lens + body combo is a popular choice.<br /><br />Just don't want to be stuck with the 80mm lens that maybe harder to sell if most people with Mamiya bodies already have this lens in their kit.<br /><br /><br />Thanks once again for your assistance.</p>

<blockquote>

<p><em>maybe 4 or 6 weeks later will be a better time to sell camera equipment, the spring is nearer</em></p>

</blockquote>

<p><em><br /></em>Downunder spring is not coming, so sell it soon,<br>

and as you noticed, maybe its better to sell the 80 with the cam, </p>

<p>The body plus 80mm is a popular choice- this lens being a direct equivalent of the 50mm "standard" lens for 35mm cameras. I suspect most new purchases included an 80mm . Some will have chosen the slightly wider 65mm as their "standard" and this choice was the subject of at least several discussions on Photo.net back when this camera was mostly bought new. Whether you can sell an 80mm lens to someone with a 65mm is a bit debateable. </p>

<p>A lot depends on who you think might buy used Mamiya 7 gear. Is it people new to the camera- who probably will want a "standard" lens , mostly but not all the 80mm. Or is it people buying a second/replacement/back-up body (who may not need a lens)? Or is it both? It is not a clear-cut choice. </p>

<p>If you are living in a large or fairly large metropolitan area (Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Canberra, Hobart, etc.) you might try Kijiji, Gumtree, or Craig's list (or the equivalent), allowing you local clients with whom you can discuss sales. The only precautions are to maintain some security until you discern that the potential buyer is serious and the transaction can be made securely for both.</p>

<p>Sometimes the 80 mm is a good accompaniment for a body sale, but your announcement may offer either possibility. The 43mm and finder are particularly valued by landscape photographers.</p>

<p>I have only the former Mamiya 6 and not the 7, but the panoramic attachment is of doubtful utility as one can always visually crop a 2 1/4 by 2 1/2 inch frame when making an image on film.</p>

<p>Thank you everyone for your advice.<br>

My father had a bunch of take up spools, all good :)<br>

I'm selling some of his digital equipment on Gumtree as there are no eBay/PayPal fees as well as a good market for digital here in Australia.<br>

I was considering eBay for the Mamiya due to it being more of niche market and my not get much interest using Gumtree.<br>

Thanks to everyone again for your assistance</p>

<p>Del</p>

<p>Hi,<br>

Sorry to hear about your dad.<br>

All the advise is good so far. I'll just add my two cents.<br>

Sell just about everything separately.<br>

Take clear and well lit photos showing multiple sides.<br>

Test everything first or have someone who knows how to do so. I know some camera shops will for a small fee. <br>

Evaluate anything with glass carefully. Look for haze, fungus, dust, and scratches. If you find any of these don't expect much (but a small amount of tiny dust is often normal). It will save you a headache if it has to be returned.<br>

Wait until Spring, people get the bug to get out and shoot again. More interested people, the higher it will sell for.<br>

Look on Ebay for similar items, see what people are actually getting. There is a way to navigate to look at finished sales for prices and listing ideas.<br>

Consider contacting local camera clubs and sending them a list of what you have. Also, list it here and APUG first, finally Ebay. (Craigs list can be bad news).<br>

When using Ebay, use a reserve price, you don't want to give it away. Use a low starting price and let it run for at least a week. A reasonable "Buy it now price" is another option.<br>

Pay attention to when your auctions will end, make sure it is finishing up at a decent time when the most people will be online, not a holiday or during a popular sports event, etc. Don't forget about time zones.<br>

Last option, there are places that buy equipment. They will offer you 1/2 of what they can sell it for or less. If your comfortable with that you can get quotes from places like KEH camera.<br>

I think your dad would appreciate it going to a person who would love and enjoy it as much as he did. At the same time watch out for scammers.<br>

best regards,<br>

Rick</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hey Del,<br>

As someone who has been looking to buy a Mamiya 7,7ii over the last couple of months I have noticed that prices are currently high. In September a friend got a Mamiya 7 with the 80mm for $1000. Now they are selling for closer to $1500. The 7ii's are always advertised close to $3000 but don't move as fast. <br>

Best, <br>

Brett. </p>