Camera body f stop setting verises the lens f stop setting?

mac_mcatee

<p>I am new to digital photography. Recently purchased a Canon Rebel T6. I have an assortment of older Pentax K lenses that I got from my father 30 or more years ago. I have adapters, Fotodiox with confirmation chips, to mount them on my Canon camera.<br>

The question I have is about using them and what the F stop settings should be. Let's say the camera body display screen says the f stop is 20. I have a 50mm f1.4 lens on the camera. I can adjust the lens f number from 1.4 to 16. What do I do? Say I want to use a stop of 8. Do I change the f number in the camera to 8 and the lens number to 8? Do I set the camera to wide open, 1.4 and then use the lens f of 8? Does it matter at all what I have the camera set on since I am in the manual mode?<br>

Just would like some input as to the two settings and if in manual mode what I should or shouldn't do.</p>

<p>I'm not familiar with your specific setup but the camera has no way to adjust the aperture on the lens. You'll have to set the f-stop on the lens and close it manually, regardless of the camera's reading. It's a while back I used a similar setup, I think in Av the camera automatically sets the shutter speed, in M you have control; you can dial in the shutter speed you need, using the camera's indicator. Forget P and/or Tv, at least that's what I remember but it's all easy to test. One of the advantages of digital. </p>

<p>I believe the F-stop setting in the camera menu is what the camera is telling the lens to adjust the aperture to. This may also be the f-stop setting recorded in the EXIF data of the photo. If the lens is a manual lens, nothing happens, it is impossible for the camera to adjust the f-stop. This setting will have no effect on the aperture opening of a manual lens. The true aperture value will be whatever the physical f-stop is set to on the manual lens. When using a manual lens, the camera will only control the shutter speed and ISO value, not the f-stop, regardless of the f-stop value value in the camera menu.</p>
Cheers, Mark

<p>Many thanks for both answers. I was concerned that the camera setting somehow electronically changed the result of the photo taken to reflect the f stop set on the camera body. Now I get it, I can ignore the camera setting and just get on with the lens setting when in the manual modes.</p>

<p>I use an Olympus 24 and a Nikkor 20 on my 6D. I set AV and keep the aperture at f5.6 or f8. Set the infinity mark on the aperture you've chosen and you don't need to focus. (If you do want to focus, use your Canon's Live View). Do a test shot using your histogram readout to make any exposure adjustment. These old manual focus lenses are great, but for fine focus at large apertures and any uses requiring accurate focus, Canon EF-S's and EFs zooms or primes would serve you better.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>In using adapted "other mount" lenses, you're giving up much of the real advantage of a modern digital camera.<br>

Other lenses adapted to a Canon EOS body are always going to be mostly manual in operation.<br>

Take the leap and at least buy a couple of Canon EF lenses. The 18-55 and the 55-250 are inexpensive, but still have image quality that is arguably better than 30-year old Pentax lenses, and there will be no comparison in ease of use.</p>

<p>I use a lot of old lenses, but because I want something specifically from those lenses (like perspective control).<br>

Old lenses are for fun and amusement, not generally for day-to-day photography.</p>