Value of the Camera - Follow-up

butch_welch

First, thank you to all those people who responded positively, I

appreciate it. I know how much a 12x20 Korona or occasional Folmer-

Schwing go for. I know how much a new Canham, Wisner or Lotus sell

for, I investigated the Lotus before building the camera (Near $7000!)

I think my camera should fall somewhere in between. I like to think it

is worth more than a Korona, I put a lot of work and thought into it,

and I am not arrogant enough to think it is worth anywhere near the

value of a Canham/Lotus camera. But where does it fall in between? As

the responses show, most people, like me, have trouble putting a dollar

value on it.

To those people who expressed interest in purchasing the camera (I was

not cleverly trying to sell it on the forum), I am not ready to sell it

quite yet. When I am, I will put a post on the Photo.net large format

classifieds.

Finally, to those people who legitimately asked "You built a nice

camera why did you buy another?" I can only assume those people are

the lucky ones who can buy a piece of equipment and keep it for life (I

envy them) and don't suffer from the "equipment craziness" that some of

us less fortunate do. There were only a few 12x20 Phillips cameras

ever made (the exact number is not known by Phillips, and repeated

pleadings to make more have been unsuccessful). I have a friend who

has one and I have wanted one since seeing it. So I guess my only

answer is "I wanted it."

Butch

there seems to be a syndrome with photographers. Not all, but many. And it is that "when you have something to sell me its worth nothing" but "when I have something to sell you its worth everyting".

You have to know that most people are not going to value your labor like you value your labor. And the raw materials that go into a large format camera are not that much.

In the end, the true value of your camera in monetary terms is what somebody will pay you for it in an arms length transaction. the only way you will find that out is to put it up for sale at a price you think is correct, and then negotitate with people until you and another person arrive at a price that both of you can live with.

I applaud you for getting what you want. Too many people wait and wait and wait to get what they want, and then when their life is over they moan and groan that they never did what they wanted to do. So good for you.

Finally, if there seems to be sufficient demand for YOUR camera, why not make a few more. Since you have the expertise you could probably make the next one and the one after that in considerably less time than the first. Since many offered to buy your camera it would seem that there is an unfilled market for that size. So why not crank up and make a few more.

Kevin

1) your camera is new and thus in better condition than a rickety Korona or well-used F&S.

2) your camera has also been designed for a modern user rather than the banquet shooters of the 1920's.

So it *should* be worth more than a 60+ year old camera.

3) You aren't a factory or company, and so warranty and parts availablity will likely be seen as questionable by a potential purchaser.

4) as a one-off, engineering questions might also arise by a long-distance buyer.

So the price should fall in between the antiques and the new boutique cameras.

I wish I could afford to work in ULF myself. 4x5 will have to suffice for a while. Best of luck!

Hi Butch,

you do have a nice looking piece of equipment there.

Unfortunatly, you are not known as a camera maker, and as a result, the market for your "baby" is more than likely very limited. Things like parts, and more importantly, resale value do play a role in determining the market value of a camera. Sure a Korona might not lock down as tight as yours, but most people in the ULF market have heard of a Korona and therefore are probably more willing to pay the going rate.

My guess is, if you put it up for auction, without any filmholders or lenses, it might bring 2k. Please don't take my comments wrong, they are not meant to be insulting, but rather an attempt to somehow provide you with the information you seek.

I'd go with a few posts above. I think that any one-of-a-kind piece, but that fact alone, lowers its actual value. I would not try to place a $ amount on it simply because of that. If one could physically see it and compare it to a known brand, the story might have a completely different outcome, as it sure does look as professionally made as any out there. That's the reason behind my earlier suggestion to throw it out on Ebay with a HIGH reserve. This especially so due to your unreadiness to sell. If you have a specific number in mind (the one "somewhere in between") then add another 25% to it to set the reserve. This is of course to get the most for it.

On the other hand, since you put a lot of heart into building it, you may feel more comfortable selling it here on photo.net hoping it will go to someone who can also have "feelings" for it.

Perhaps you shouldn't sell it as a "camera" but as a piece of art? As a camera, the fact that it's a one-off is likely to reduce its perceived value for all the reasons stated above and elsewhere, whereas as a piece of art, its one-off status is likely to increase its perceived value...