Nikon SB16 Speedlight - will it work?

jerry_robertson

<p>I was given an SB-16A and am interested in putting it on my D5100. The connector is wrong but I found where I can purchase a B base and it looks like it would work but I'm not sure.<br>

Second part, the speedlight doesn't seem to do anything but that maybe because it's not connected to the camera. I put batteries in it and switch it on but nothing happens. I expected it to charge up and I should at least be able to manually trigger the flash. Am I going to have to connect it to the camera before I can test it?</p>

The SB-16 looks like a fairly ordinary, if old-

fashioned, flash to me. I'm pretty sure it should just

charge and fire without being attached to a camera.

<p>

The PDF manual is here:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?

sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://cdn-10.nikon-

cdn.com/pdf/manuals/archive/SB-

16.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiWhLGqkt7RAhXJCsAKHSzF

AfkQFggkMAE&usg=AFQjCNGefjYZ_MugfmWhwzp

CCtbOLgZI3A

<p><p>

I'd question whether it was worth spending money on such an old relic though. The conversion foot will probably cost you nearly as much as a brand new YongNuo YN560 iv, which will give you more power and a faster recycling time.

<p>Hi Jerry. I have an SB-16 with both bases. With the B base, I can use it on my Nikon Df. It does not provide ttl flash with my camera, but I can shoot with my camera set to manual exposure and the flash set to one of the 2 auto modes. I just match the aperture on the camera to the one indicated on the flash, and it works well. The flash has it's own built in sensor to measure the flash. Your flash should power on even if it is not attached to a camera. Check the battery holder and the contacts inside the flash to see if they are corroded. Over the years I have got several flashes to work just by cleaning the contacts. Good luck.</p>

<p>Sorry, for some reason I thought it was an SB18, but the SB16 is also shown as safe at 4.14V. I expect although pre-digital, there were plenty of sensitive electronic cameras around when it was made, leading Nikon and others to use lower trigger voltages than previously.</p>