david_nash

Hi

I'm thinking about buying an SWC, but am confused about the different

models (and varying prices) I see in the secondhand lists. I'd

appreciate an explanation of the different models, with the date of

manufacture, and comparisons of the different lenses, lens coatings,

shutters, and viewfinders etc.

David

I can not really answer your questions about the models. However, I would advice you to stick to the C/M and later versions (with prontor shutter) and stay away from the C versions with the Synchro Compur shutter.

Not because the C versions are optically or mechanically inferior but because the Hasselblad office in the Netherlands warns that they are running out of a certain spare part for this Synchro Compur shutter, roughly translated as the shutter delaying mechanism. A delicate mechanism with many dials, springs and parts. Since these are no longer manufactured, once they have run out of it and this part in a C lens breaks down, it can now longer be repaired rendering the lens, or in your case the SWC useless. Of course this is in the Netherlands but the situation will be similar in your country. Maybe not now, but how about 1 year from now? It will be a waist of money to spend 1500 US dollar on a camera that might be unrepairable next month.

Hi David,

I am also looking at the SWC.

The SWC/M handles a polaroid back and the SWC doesn't. Mostly moving the tripod shoe down and the the viewer up. Optically they are the same though.

The 903 and 905 have better non-reflective coating inside the body and the viewer has the level built into it, whereas the SWC and SWC/M have the level built into the camera body and a prism built into the viewer to read it.

I think that the glass formulation changed with the 900 series also, but it doesn't make a big difference.

Of course parts will be available longer for the newer models than the older ones.

That's what I know.

Mike

Go to www.gilghitelman.com. There is a fairly good write-up article which is very informative for your need. Click on "News & Views" and you'd find 'Hasselblad Superwide History' on the bottom left corner. If the square format meets your shooting style and you need wide coverage, this would be an excellent camera to give serious consideration.

David,

The SWC's history is long, but not eventfull.

In 1957 the Synchro Compur shuttered SWC appeared: an evolution of the 1954 Supreme Wide Angle, and the 1956 Super Wide.

In 1969 the lens barrel was changed from aluminium to black.

In 1973 the lens was supplied with T* multicoating.

In 1980 the SWC/M appeared, with raised viewfinder, lowered tripod coupling plate, and ratchet gear wind. All to accomodate Polaroid magazines.

A conversion kit was offered to upgrade earlier SWCs, and the kit included a "SWC/M" name badge, so not all SWC/Ms started life as such.

In 1982 the CF shutter and lens barrel replaced the "C" Synchro Compur version.

In 1985 the viewfinder was replaced by a newer type, incorporating a bubble level.

At some later time the bubble level on the camera body was discontinued.

In 1989 the "3-generation Hasselblad cameras appeared, and the SWC/M changed its name to 903 SWC. The styling of the chrome(or black) trim on the body was changed slightly, and the interior of the body was given a better anti reflection coating. (The Biogon sits very close to the film, and there is relatively little interior in a SWC, so this change may be a more important to the other cameras.)

Last year, 2002, a change was made to the types of glasses used in the Biogon, and the lens had to be redesigned. MTF graphs show a slight difference in performance (slight change in distribution of performance across the image field).

At the same time, the CF shutter and lens barrel was replaced by the CFi version.

The camera changed name to 905 SWC.

Best advice, i think,is always to buy as new as you can.

Assuming mechanical quality is good, any old version is a good camera to have. The Biogon was a superb lens in the 1950s, and it still is today.

<blockquote>Hi David,

<p>

I have a review on my website of the SWC which you may find interesting.<p>

<p>

<br />

This is the link: <a

href="http://www.peter-brown-photographer.com/equipment%20page/hasselb

lad%20swc%20review.html">SWC review</a>.

<p>

<p>

Kind regards,

<p>

Peter Brown

<p>

<a

href="http://www.peter-brown-photographer.com">http://www.peter-brown

-photographer.com</a>

</blockquote>

Q.G.deB. gives a good run down of the SWC models and the only thing I have to add is that the current "best available" choice is probably the 903SWC. The lens design change needed for the 905 was required by the environmental concerns for workers handling the tiny amount of lead used in the glass-making process.

For hundreds of years, a small amount of lead has been known to

enhance the purity and clarity of glass. However, today the "green"

regulations control everything. [Just look at Sadamm's A-bomb; they

wouldn't let him use any Uranium.]

Zeiss backhandedly admits the 905 glass is "almost as good" as the

903 and points to the improved material in the 905 shutter spring--the same used in CFi lenses.

I would suggest this spring material difference is critical only to

the "high volume" shutter-tripper, while the "slight" difference in

glass would lead me to select a "leaded" 903 SWC (which I doubt

killed very many people at Zeiss.)