Dropped my Nikon 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5 G!

derek_thornton1

<p>Went out this morning to watch the sunrise and had an accident. I thought my tripod was stable, it was only extended about 36". It fell lens first into some sandstone/mud. It broke my ND grad filter and my lens. The plastic lens barrel has a crack between the zoom and focus rings. The focus ring works fine the zoom ring only works from 18-23mm. I was able to use it and everything seems normal. However, it seems to have a bit more distortion. In the past this would have been something that I would have easily fixed myself. But, Nikon no longer sells parts to the people. This lens did not hit hard at all and broke super easy, little heads up to 18-35G users.</p>

<p>Anyway I was wondering if anyone would have an idea of what this will cost to fix. The lens was $750.00 new. If it is more than $300.00 it really would not be worth fixing. I am thinking since Nikon no longer sells parts they most likely have upped their repair cost. Also, does anyone know if you can buy Sigma Parts?</p>

<p>Any help appreciated,<br>

Derek</p>

derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com

<blockquote>

<p>The lens was $750.00 new. If it is more than $300.00 it really would not be worth fixing.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Not quite understanding the logic here unless you consider to not replace the lens at all.<br>

I would be surprised if the overall cost to fix the lens (including shipping charges) would amount to less than $270; but you will have to send it in to get an estimate.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>In the past this would have been something that I would have easily fixed myself.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Even if one or more optical elements are whacked out of alignment? Which seems to be the case here (since you mention a higher level of distortion).</p>

<p>The plastic 18-35mm/f3.5-4.5 AF-S G is my favorite wide angle in these days. I have dropped it a couple of times, unfortunately, but it was on carpet. Fortunately for me, so far there is no damage.</p>

<p>Two years ago, I was on a sub-Antarctic cruise south of the New Zealand South Island. The ocean is extremely rough in that area. Unwisely I left my 18-35 on the top bunk inside the cabin. I thought it was secure. After dinner, I found the lens on the floor. That was probably a 5-foot drop, but on carpet.</p>

<p>If the barrel has cracked, it is not going to be an inexpensive repair. It is not merely parts; you need the right tools to calibrate the lens again after repair. I would send it back to Nikon or Authorized Photo Service to get an estimate. This could be a case where replacement maybe the better option.</p>

<p>I had a similar situation where a gust of wind blew my tripod cover. My 70-200mm/f2.8 version 1 and D700 hit hard rock, but the damage was not severe. Both lens and body continued to be usable.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>it is very hard to spend $300.00 on something I could have done myself for $50.00 tops!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Certainly! But since parts aren't available, DIY is no longer an option. And a repair is likely to cost less than a new lens; buying refurbished or used might make it a much closer call.</p>

I once sent my 18-35 3.5-4.5D for service. This was more than 5 years ago. I needed to replace the chip

that gives the aperture data. They called me back from Nikon and said that the internal frame was cracked

and wondered if I wanted to replace it too. The cost for that was about $300, and I hadn't even noticed any

problems with my lens connected to that! I declined that repair and only had the chip replaced. I can't

imagine that your repair will be less than $400.

<p>Ravi, that is what I am thinking. The only way to get an estimate is to ship it to them. You can decline the job if you wish, but you still have to pay shipping. I guess I will box it up and store it in the closet until I see a "parts only"18-35mm G lens. Or I will take it apart and see if I can fix it anyway.</p>
derek-thornton.artistwebsites.com