EF zoom @28mm end or manual Vivitar 28mm 2.8 (Minolta body)?

bleda_han

hello

I have recently discoverd wide angle photography, and I am quite

taken by it.

Although I do not yet have an extreme wide angle lens, I have

the 'luxury' of choosing between a Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 on a manual

Minolta x70, and my Canon EF 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 at the 28mm/f3.5 end on

my Rebel G. Since landscape photography is my target for now, the

extra speed of the Vivitar does not make a difference.

So far I have compared them only with Royal Gold 100 and T-Max 100

(tripod shots) - to be honest I cannot decide which is better.

I would greatly appreciate some input before I start burning money

using slide film (first time ever) with these lenses.

Thank You very much

If you have the kit 28-105, I would say it doesn't matter as both are lo dolloar lenses. If you have the 28-105 then I would say use it. My 28-105 3.5/4.5 USMII is an incredibly sharp lens for a zoom. Not as sharp as an L but way better than anything I had in my FD lineup including some Canon primes. since you have a Rebel why not hit the classifieds here. Ther is aCanon 28mm 2.8 for $95. I would love to have it but I just dropped 1000 on a 70-200 2.8 L and a 420 EX/stroboframe and offcamersa ahsoe cord. The next peice I buy need to be the 1.4X L TC. I have heard that th4e 28mm 2.8 is incredibly sharp and I may still buy it if someone else doesn't pick it up. I answered your question in ths manner assuming you were asking which will give you the best results.

I have not used the Vivitar 28/2.8 but I wouldn't be much off the mark in guessing that the Vivitar, being a prime, is bound to have much less distortion, better sharpness and less flare compared to the Canon zoom. I have a 28-105/3.5-4.5 USM myself, and the distortion at 28mm is very noticeable. My 28-105 needs to be stopped down to f/6.7 or at least f/5.6 for decent sharpness. Your Vivitar probably doesn't need to be stopped down so much for sharp images.