D4s vs D5

david_debalko1

<p>I currently shoot with a D4 and I am very happy with, I can move up to the D5 or purchase a gently used D4s with around 14,000 actuations and save around $2500 dollars. I shoot about 80% at lower ISOs and 20% at higher ISOs. so the decision is D5 or D4s, I would appreciate any opinions<br />Dave</p>

<p>i dont think anyone can make this decision for the OP. $2500 is not an insignificant amount of money, but im not sure there's that much difference between a D4 and D4s, certainly less of an upgrade than the D5. if you're shooting pro sports, any increase in AF capability is welcomed, but for more casual/amateur use, it may be more difficult to justify the expenditure. If money was no object, i'd hop on the D5, not just for AF, but the new metering system, 4k video, and other refinements like LCD. if you dont shoot at stoopid high ISOs that often, a D5 probably has a bit less to offer. </p>

$2500 is not a small amount of money to most people, but it is to some. The last time I saw my graduate school advisor in

1999, over a decade after I had graduated, he told my wife and me, "money is a number in the bank." He was quite

wealthy living in an expensive neighborhood with three Mercedes in his garage, but more importantly, two years after that

final visit, he was diagnosed with cancer and passed away a year later. Ever since that visit in 1999, my wife and I mention that quote quite often.

Without knowing much about the OP, it is hard to make an informed suggestion. That is why I am trying to get an idea

about the OP's situation.

Take a look at my website to see what I

shoot - debalkophoto.com.

Not too much sports. I have a few

photo friends that are holding off on the

D5 but I held off on D4s, I'm being told

the DR of the D4s is better at lower

ISOs than the D5. I shoot with the WT5

a lot, the D4s would fit that making the

D4 a good backup. I also have a 750

and all the nikon pro lenses

<p>David, I took a very quick look at your portfolio. You seem to be mostly a portrait type photographer plus a bit of architecture, food, and wedding. I don't think either a D4S or D5 will benefit you all that much. Why not wait a bit for the successor to the D810? The D5 is a speed machine, and your types of photography is not really speed, action oriented.</p>

<p>A big advantage for the D5 over the D3 and D4 is the improved D5. I expect the successor to the D810 to have the same AF module as the D5, if not slightly better. But then again, your subjects are exactly moving fast.</p>

<p>BTW, you have an excellent portfolio.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the D4s should be closer to the 750, is that true?</p>

</blockquote>

<p>not necessarily. the 4s is a little bit better in low light than the D4 but you are comparing a tweaked 16mp FF sensor with a 24mp FF sensor. you can look at the high-ISO comparisons with the DPreview widget. The D5 is almost certainly worse than the D4s at low ISOs for DR because the high-ISO performance has to be extracted from somewhere. I'm not sure i would get a 4s or a D5 if i didnt need the speed/AF/extreme high-ISOs. another 750 or an 810 would seem more appropriate. fyi, the 810 will work with the WT-5a, but you also need the UT-1 to transfer files wirelessly, <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/841476-REG/Nikon_27046_WT_5A_Wireless_Transmitter.html">according to B&H</a>.</p>

<p>David, if you get a chance to try a D5 before you decide, I'd recommend it. Got a chance to play with one at a trade show, and I usually shoot a D4. The way the viewfinder is set up, and the auto focus points, are different in the D5 compared to my D4. Maybe there are camera settings that can change the look of the D5 viewfinder, didn't have enough time to explore that. But the camera I used had very bright red LED focus point squares in the viewfinder, as opposed to the less bright focus point rectangles in my D4. The trade show where I tried the camera had fairly dark "mood lighting" which made it more difficult for me when using the camera, as I found the bright red square focus points really distracting. Again, this may be something that can be adjusted in-camera.</p>

<p>As with any "upgrade", you have to ask yourself, "will upgrading to another camera make me a better photographer?"</p>

<p>In most cases the answer is probably no and if it will not allow you to make better images, then really, why spend the money?</p>

<p>Just my 2¢</p>