voiced about the bellows and such have a little nervous. The GS645S

was a consideration; but the size is a concern here. Could anyone

give me the dimensions of the GS645S?

The other choice is the GA645ZI; but I have concerns about the AF

speed. Also the fogging issues with the slack in the winding system

is a factor.

Any comments or suggestions?

Chip

I have the GA645. It has a stunningly sharp lens and remarkably accurate focus/exposure systems. The only detraction I find is that it is a bit more cumbersome to use as a "manual" camera than I would prefer, but then I usually prefer manual operation for my photography and the GA645 is really designed to do most of that for you best.

The GS645S is a bit smaller, not by much. Overall, the GA645 is a very nice MF camera to carry, the bulk is managed well and it hangs from the shoulder very comfortably.

I have not experienced any "fogging" issues or slack in the film transport system.

Godfrey

Chip,

The GA645Zi is like a lot of autofocus cameras. It won't fire as fast as your Leica if you start from scratch. But, if you focus the camera first with some pressure on the release, and keep the pressure up, then a final push on the shutter will make the exposure with almost no delay.

As far as loose winding. Trick 1. Keep some pressure on the feed spool with your thumb while loading and kind of smooth the paper down on the takeup spool as you load it. Trick 2. Only use Fuji film all of which catches in the takeup spool and loads really tight. Besides, the Fuji film has the barcode and sets the ISO and 120/220 automatically. I haven't had any problems since I've learned these lessons. Luckily I use Fuji film most of the time anyway and this camera gives really good results.

Wondering how easy it is to st the manual focus mode. I assume that this would speed of the response of the shutter. I found a deal on a GA645zi that really has me tempted. I guess the benifit of a 35mm and 55mm lens combo with the zoom has me interested.

Chip

I use the GA645 and it is surprisingly responsive and focuses quickly but rather loudly. The lens (60mm f4) is amazing. See the above tips on to solve the film slack issue. The viewfinder of the GA645 is much much brighter than the viewfinder on the 645Zi. The automatic paralax correction is great. The few times when I had slack issues, I never had a fogging problem, even with 220 film.

The drawbacks of the GA645 are only one focal length and the noisy focus.

The body is fairly light due to extensive use of polycarbonate. The camera is about 133% larger than a 35mm rangefinder but the ergonomics are fine.

Best of all, they seem to be cheap and plentiful on the used market.

I had a Zi for a short time and didn't care for it too much, mainly because the frame is vertical in the finder and I shoot mostly landscape format. As a long-time Leica rangefinder user I found the GW690III much more to my liking. The focal length equivalent is 35mm, the neg is twice the size of 6x4.5 (so you could crop half the image, effectively doubling the focal length, and still have 6x4.5 image quality) and the orientation is the familiar landscape vs the portrait orientation of the Zi. If you're going to MF might as well get the biggest neg you can; and if you're coming from Leica might as well get the closest ergonomics you can.

GS645s is a wonderful camera to use, I've recently brought one for £230 with lens hood and case in mint condition. I'm now using it and the pictures are great. It is small and I've very large hands and I have no trouble in setting f-stops or speed.

I just can not believe that some one was so willing to let this go. Along with my Pentax MX this a great combo.

I'm in heaven...............................Great!

Pictures to come...............

A few months ago I purchased a GS645 in mint condition. Having little use did not stop the bellows from developing the dreaded pinholes. The seller agreed to pay for a half of the repair, which including the purchase of a replacement from "Camera Bellows" did not exceed $120 US.

If I had to spend the same amount of money in 20 years from now, it would be money well spent.

Aside from the camera taking great shots, it is thinner than any SLR, including probably the MX with the pancake lens. It measures 5.75" x 4.5" x 2.25" when folded. I carry it in my coat pocket, or sometimes, slung on my shoulder under my coat or jacket.

I also own a G690 and a GSW690III. You don't double your focal lenght by cropping a 6x9 neg to 6x4.5. The formula has more to do with the diagonal of the negative.

Jeff.