Question on MF slide mounting

bill_clarke

In many cases those who use 120 transparency film do not mount it because a lot of 120 users are interested in scanning the film for publication rather than projecting it.<p>

I shoot a lot of 120 transparency film for my samples to show to prospective clients. I cut a small square window into the center of a black mat board, front the transparency with clear mylar, back it with frosted mylar. It is protected in this sleeve, does not get bent and can easily be viewed on the light box. There is plenty of room to paste a label on the back and since the mat is 11x14 inches and has my name on it, it is harder for me or the client to lose the sample.<p>

Uncut transparency film can be stored in plastic or glassine sleeves.<p>

I know 6x6 projectors exist but have never used one.

Kodalux used to mount 2 1/4 square slides free when you used one of their processing mailers. They were cardboard mounts but they were well done and very convenient and the price was right. A few years back, they dropped the service entirely and, for a while, I tried heat seal cardboard mounts that I sealed using my wife's steam iron (without the steam). They always warped badly and it was such a nuisance to mount slides that I went back to 35mm for the next few years. Lately, I have come back to MF and have tried three brands of glassless plastic slide mounts. The Gepe and Wess mounts were purchased from B&H and Clark mounts are available here in Minneapolis from a local processor called Pro-Color at about $.41 each. My least favorite are the Wess. After placing the slide into one side of the mount, they fold shut like a book and are held closed by an overlapping catch on one side. I don't like them because they are so thick. The Gepes aren't bad. They come in two pieces and one side has a metal insert with tabs on opposite sides to catch the slide. Then the other half is snapped over the first half. They are thinner than the Wess mounts but not as thin as the Clarks. If I mount a slide and after viewing it a few times decide it's not worth a $.41 mount, getting them out of the Gepe is a bit of a hassle. My favorite (by a small margin) are the Clarks. They are one piece mounts with a slot on one side into which the slide is inserted. They are very thin but the slides seem to stay just as flat as in the other mounts. They are held in the mount quite securely just by friction. I don't know of a mail order source yet but you could try contacting the manufacturer directly at: Photo Plastic, Intl., Chicago, IL. For me, there's nothing quite like a projected 2 1/4 slide.

<p>

Peter Caplow