D3300 external mic

simon_platt1

<p>Nikon has its own ME-1 microphone:<br>

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/microphones/me-1-stereo-microphone.html</p>

<p>I used a Sennheiser MKE 400. It costs more than Nikon's ME-1. I bought the Sennheiser microphone upon the recommendation from a Nikon rep, at a time before Nikon introduced the ME-1, which I have never used myself.<br /></p>

<p> </p>

<p>Massive "I read up on this but don't claim huge expertise" disclaimer...<br />

<br />

I have (but have only limited experience in using) a Zoom H5 (bought before the H6 was launched). Supposedly even the H1 recorder is very good (if plasticky), and likely substantially better at recording quality than anything you'll get through the internal mic - especially if you hook it up to an external microphone. If I'm not using the integrated mics on the H5, I can use it with a Røde lavalier mic; there seem to be decent alternatives out there.<br />

<br />

You <i>can</i> put a shotgun mic on the camera, but you'll still be stuck with the audio recording quality of the camera and with the microphone wherever you're recording video from - as with flash, that may be the most convenient place, but it's rarely the best. If you're happy to do "run-and-gun" journalism and want a general-purpose microphone, I've heard good things about the Rode and Sennheiser on-camera mics. If you have the choice, particularly if you're prepared to merge the audio with the video afterwards, getting something closer to the audio source and using a better quality audio circuit is generally a good idea. All the camera makers cut corners to fit their budget. (All of them are a bit compromised as video goes, too!)<br />

<br />

Hope that helps.</p>

<p>I have an H1 and an H2. the mics on those are very good, CD-quality 24-bit audio. ive never used either for DSLR video recording, however. the most common set-up i see out in the field is the Rode. the MT-1 is probably a better option than the Zooms for dedicated DSLR video, since it has a 3.5" jack cord and a hotshoe mount. if you're going to do other things, like field recording/podcasting, the Zooms might make more sense, since they can be used as stand-alone recorders, while the Rode and MT-1 are just external mics. </p>

<p>On a side note, Andrew said the Zooms offer "likely substantially better at recording quality than anything you'll get through the internal mic - especially if you hook it up to an external microphone." Sure, well, a stereo 24-bit audio is gonna be better than a mono-built-in mic. But plugging a second external mic into a Zoom is redundant, somewhat. Zoom's parent company, Samson, is a mic manufacturer, and their mics are often better quality than alternatives from Roland, Olympus, and Tascam. The one situation where you'd want a Lav is if you're doing interviews and want to mic your subject. But then, you could just plug the Lav into the camera's external jack, no need to go Frankenmic by plugging a Lav into a Zoom, unless you wanted a separate audio track.<br>

</p>

The "best" microphone depends

what you want to record and

from how far away. Distant

birdsong or dialogue would

require a parabolic or super-

cardioid (shotgun) mic. While

solo string instrumentals would

benefit from an unscreened

dynamic like a Shure SM57, and

quiet or close-miked dialogue

would be best served with a

vocal mic like the pop-shielded

SM58. Dynamic mics generally

have lower noise than electret

capsule types and work without

extrnal or battery power.

Proper condenser mics give the

best quality but need a phantom

supply to work.

So it's really a matter of

choosing the right horse for

the course, or the right type

of microphone for the

envisioned application. No

point in trying to capture a

symphony orchestra with a

shotgun mic placed 10ft away

for example. Or using an omni

mic to record dialogue in a

crowded or windy area.

<p>for basic DSLR video, the MT-1 is pretty easy-peezy. if i was recording a symphony, i might want a separate audio track, and the H2 shines in music recording -- it can do 180 or even 360 4-channel audio. But that is a more complicated setup for a specific application, while also requires syncing in post-. FWIW, the Shire SM57 RJ mentions only costs $100, which is less than an MT-1. But using an SM57 or SM58 for audio for DSLR video would require extra cables for connectivity, plus there's no hotshoe mount. </p>

<p>Eric: Yes, I have no complaints about the audio quality of the microphones integrated into my Zoom, but nonetheless there are times when stereo mics with quite a wild capture field aren't what's wanted - the Zoom is intended to be shoved in someone's face during an interview (at least, that's how I see them on TV). A lavalier or shotgun-on-a-pole would be better for capturing just a speaker no matter what you plug them into, it just happens that plugging them into a decent ADC is likely to be better than the camera's circuitry (except for convenience). As RJ says, the pick your subject.<br />

<br />

These are incremental improvements - like getting a better lens and a better camera body, so you can get there one piece of equipment at a time. But to Shun's point, a Zoom H1 is roughly £79/$100; my lavalier was about £150 (out of desparation), but there are, I believe, good lavaliers available for substantially less, although some of the popular brands from the US seem to be unavailable in the UK. I'm out of touch with what's considered good these days. I'm sure an on-line roundup would be more informative than my attempts, so I'll quit while I'm ahead.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>the Zoom is intended to be shoved in someone's face during an interview (at least, that's how I see them on TV). A lavalier or shotgun-on-a-pole would be better for capturing just a speaker no matter what you plug them into</p>

</blockquote>

<p> <br>

a shotgun mic will work about the same way as a Zoom H1. it'll capture what's in front of it, as well as some ambient sound. with an H2, you have more options for directing the sound field, so those are a bit more versatile for musical performance. a lavalier, or clip-on lapel mic, is generally used in single-subject interviews. you wouldnt use one, for instance, covering a press conference with multiple speakers, unless you were able to clip it on to every speaker individually before they started speaking. I work with documentary filmmakers who'll use the Rode for general audio capture, then switch to the lavalier for individual interviews where you want to limit the background ambient sound. </p>

<blockquote>

<p> my lavalier was about £150 (out of desparation), but there are, I believe, good lavaliers available for substantially less</p>

</blockquote>

<p>prices for lavaliers range widely. you can get one for an iPhone for about $20 USD, and a name-brand wired mic for about $30-$100 USD, all the way up to $150-$500 USD or so for a wireless setup with transceiver and sometimes switchable mics. incidentally, Nikon sells a wireless mic kit, the ME-W1, for about $200, and the ME-1 can be had for substantially less as a grey market import. With pro audio/video, there's always a more expensive/newer model, so it's sometimes abut what's "good enough." My advice is, don't overspend if you don't have to. </p>

<p>Hi thanks for all the information. I am just trying to improve in camera sound recording at the momennt but will bare in mind the external recorders etc. I decided to go for a Rode Video mic on the hot shoe and see how that works.<br>

As Eric says I could spend a fortune doing this!!<br>

Thanks again</p>

<p>Simon</p>

<blockquote>

<p>As Eric says I could spend a fortune doing this!!</p>

</blockquote>

<p>No doubt. :-)<br>

<br />Just like camera equipment, you could spend a fortune on audio equipment for a tiny bit of improvement, and such improvement, if any at all, is not always noticeable.</p>

<p>again, if all you want is a decent external stereo mic to do basic video, A Rode video mic that plugs into the 3.5" socket should be sufficient. the Nikon ME-1 would also work. it can and does get complicated when you get into more situation-specific and less general applications, although it doesn't have to be super-expensive, depending on what you are doing. Luckily, the price of broadcast-quality linear PCM audio recorders has come down considerably with the rise of podcasting and DSLR video. A few years ago, the H4n was like $400; today the H2n is less than $200, and is arguably better, unless you need XLR connections.</p>