Can the old Elmar 50 3.5 or 35 3.5s be painted by the pros or are they the wrong material?

jo_dad

<p>Can the old leitz Elmar 50mm 3.5 or 35mm 3.5 screw mounts be re-painted by the pros or are they the wrong material?<br>

Im thinking of getting a silver/chrome and having it painted black. Is this possible? I know newer leicas cant be painted because the metal would melt or something like that so just wondering</p>

<p>Thanks guys!<br>

Jo</p><div>00e7d4-565175684.jpg.13743744914a31f36332be705d5d7183.jpg</div>

<p>Possible, but not advisable. Paint would go to hell on the collapsing sleeve. Plus there's almost no precedent for these small lenses to be painted black. It would need to involve removing the chrome plating, but doing that without screwing up the focusing calibration of the lens would be extremely hard.<br>

If you look at the 90mm and 135mm Elmar lenses, you see that black paint really wasn't durable enough for lenses.<br>

The modern black Leica lenses are anodized aluminum, not painted brass.</p>

<p>Hi Jo,<br>

They are old lenses - but good copies of the Elmar 5cm, and had quality-control issues when produced. If you get a good one it can be great. They are pretty cheap however.<br>

You've reminded me of where I've seen painted Elmars before. On the Russian replica Leicas, of which there used to be a lot on E---.</p>