Boyer enlarging lens / De Vere combo

andrew_pell

Hello all,

I'm trying to fit a 150mm f4.8-16 Boyer Saphir enlarging lens to a De

Vere 54 enlarger (not a 504) and am going to need an adaptor flange

turning. I know this seems obvious fitting an enlarger lens to an

enlarger but the only info I can find about Boyer on the web is for

taking lenses (and it still doesn't mention thread sizes :-( .)

Can anybody confirm that the lens thread is ø1.75" x 1mm pitch and

for that matter, the enlarger is ø2.5"-16TPI 55° BSW?

If they aren't these sizes, does anybody know the official sizes as

I'm getting nowhere on the net?

Thanks

Your best bet is to send it to SK Grimes. This way you know it will fit instead of wasting time and money tring to rig something yourself. I was just looking to mount a lens for my DeVer 8x10 enlarger and ended up wasting a lot of time and money. When I should have just sent it to Mr Grimes. I think he was going to charge $35

Thanks for the info Jay - the only fly in the ointment is that I'm in the UK and things might get a bit expensive sending items over to the US (especially the lens as it's "solidly built.")

I can hopefully provide my own material and have a couple of local machinists I can call on who should have the capability...

I've already bought an M39 adaptor from Odyssey Sales and that wasn't the cheapest of things (50 GBP all in) and tried getting hold of one from somewhere else for the Boyer but they sent the wrong one :-(

The incorrect one is of a flat plate design 1/4" thick with an internal and external thread so has a lot less operations to manufacture than the M39 one (cup design with knurled edges etc).

I might hold on the incorrect one for now in case it fits any of the other lenses I have when I check.

Thanks

Thanks for the alternative suggestion - Oakworth isn't a million miles away.

I managed to get hold of some ø80mm aluminium round and have a friend who has a lathe so that's another option to try if he can get the correct pitches set up etc as it's a manual machine.

Andrew

"<cite>I'm trying to fit a 150mm f4.8-16 Boyer Saphir enlarging lens</cite>"

<P>

Curiously I've just started "<cite>playing</cite>" with a 9.5cm Saphir-B enlarging lens. I was under the impression that the Saphir were all Tessar (Triplet with glued rears) types but looking at this massive (single coated) 1:3,5 objective I'm tending to suspect its another design. I have some testing to do but casual trials (with an ancient Schneider test negative) hint that they are nice. I'd call it a very French lens as the manner of brass and the general feeling of it reminds me of SOM Bethiot.

<P>

"<cite>I can find about Boyer on the web is for taking lenses (and it still doesn't mention thread sizes)</cite>"

<P>

The one I have, to my eyes, is clearly an enlarging or copying lens. It has extremely recessed M39 threads, viz. its rear element extends significantly behind the mating flange.

• 1 month later...

15 years ago I had a French Reinhel 4x5 enlarger/camera for graphic art work. That one was eguiped with 3 Boyer Apo Saphirs on a turret. Tessar type lenses with openings starting at 9 if I remember it correctly. All brass including the flanges.

Sold it after I converted an even bigger Autom Zuchiatti separation camera to a graphic enlarger/camera. As far as I can tell the flanges of the Boyers were interchangeable with some other enlarger lenses like the Componon of the same size that I used on the last enlarger.

This is French stuff so the thread has to be metric.

Ernst Dinkla