Canon New F-1 sometimes not firing

stephen_moon1

<p>I have only shot with this one 3 times and it is the first camera I have owned. There were a couple of instances - today - that when I would press the shutter-release the meter wouldn't register and it wouldn't take the photo. Then it would work shortly after, when that happened once it took the pic - but no movement on the meter. Is there a setting that is not letting this happen? Or, is my camera dying? Thanks for any insight.</p>

<p>The Canon New F-1 has a hybrid shutter, that is, at speeds above 1/90 second (1/90 is flash sync), the speeds are straight mechanical. Speeds below 1/90 are electronically controlled. So if your shutter speed is set at 1/90 or higher, it would be quite odd for it to have the sort of delay you're describing. So, I'm thinking that you were probably operating your F-1 at a shutter speed below 1/90. Further, if you have the camera set to Aperture Priority (with the AE Finder FN and not the standard finder), and you're experiencing some sort of intermittent problem, then this could explain why your camera is behaving the way it is. In any case, it does sound to me as if you have some sort of intermittent condition, in which case you should probably have a qualified tech look at it. Chances are, it's probably way overdue for a CLA anyway. The go-to guy that folks here like (a lot!) is Ken Oikawa. Here's his contact info:</p>

<p>Ken Oikawa<br>

28288 West Worcester Rd.<br>

Sun City CA 92586<br>

951-246-9136</p>

<p>Ken doesn't do email, doesn't have a website. His rates are very reasonable and he usually can manage a quick turnaround. Best to give him a call first and discuss your needs before sending the camera to him.</p>

When fresh, any PX-28 should work (6.0 - 6.2V) however they differ greatly in shelf life and service duration. Can you guess

which one is runt of the litter, Stephen? Yep...the alkaline type. So, yes a good PX-28A should suffice in a pinch but

use that lithium or silver oxide for maximum reliability. PX-28 batteries are not found just anywhere so don't get caught out again, get the best ones.