Canon elan 7e custom function info and metering question

johnny_chao1

Could anyone tell me in plain english how one would use the custom

function 4 and 8 in every day shooting situations for elan 7e?

Also, if anyone can give me a tip on how to take a good flash

photography with elan 7e and 420 ex, will be apprecited. Use of

metering modes, custom function etc.

I did read article from photo.net, photozone, and techphoto.org.

And last, what metering mode do you recommend to use in everyday

situation? (How good is evaluative vs, centeral, patical etc.)

Thank you

<p>CF4 is a personal preference - me, I don't like it, but many people find it invaluable. I'll have to let one of those people explain why they find it so good.</p>

<p>CF8 is, IMHO, a setting that should default the other way around, but probably doesn't to retain compatibility with previous bodies that might have lacked this setting. It makes a tremendous amount of sense for metering and focus to be tied to the same focus point, and if you agree, then set CF8 to 1. Note that this only affects partial metering (for ambient) and FE lock (for flash); if you don't use either of these features, then CF8 is irrelevant to you.</p>

<p>Have you read the <a href="http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/">EOS flash FAQ</a>? If not, you'll probably find it answers almost all your questions about flash.</p>

<p>I almost always use evaluative metering. Even for slides, which have much less tolerance for exposure errors than negatives do, it usually gets it right; for negs, it almost never yields an unprintable negative.</p>

CF 4 is very usefull for sports and wildlife photography. I find it usefull for subject matter that moves smoothly. CF4 (0) good for general use of metering and focus (general use), CF4 (1) Subject(s) is backlit or where partial metering is being used (tricky lighting)///can be also used effectively with Full time manual lenses, Cf (2) is used for focusing on subject(s) that are moving (good for stop and go using AF lock with *) (1)/(2) used in similar situations

CF 8 (1) used with partial metering linked to an off center focusing point. Good for photographing subject(s) that are backlit/tricky light. I used this mode for example when photographing ducks on very reflective water.

The trick is finding the combination(s) that work(s) for you and the specific situation you are shooting in. Wildlife and sports photography is spur of the momment and requires quick adjustments. I usually prechoose modes and CF(s) for the situation.

I think cf 4 is awesome and necessary. It is VERY nice to be able to lock your exposure, then refocus if something moves unexpectedly (like a dog, or child, or anything, really.) That way, if you want to meter off say, someones grey shirt instead of their white face, you can actually LOCK the exposure without having to change shooting mode, or use the dial. Plus, for sports or anything where you will be using AI servo mode, you can keep focus on the subject, and the meter will not stay locked. In easier terms, if you dont use CF 4, when the soccer player you are maintaining focus on runs into a shaded part of the field from the sunny part, your camera will take the picture locked on the sunny meter reading. If you use CF 4, focus can be maintained until you want to take the picture, then the meter will read the instant before you shoot. CF 8 also seems pretty intuitive (on setting 1) and I would suggest it.

Pete

I use evaluative most of the time and it nails it most of the time. In fact I can't think of any time it hasn't. But then its grey and dark here in Oregon until Spring. Then I will have more variables in the lioght to experiment with. As for flash photography I would hit the FAQ Fpr EOS Flash that you were pointed to. Then experiment.