two heads are better than one (hopefully)

This titanium summerlux-M 35/1.4 is (Aussie$2800)($US1658)and a very

handsome mint lens from the late 90's that owners make reference to

a 'glow' in their pics.(I am a bit taken by this description) The

price appears to be fair and I can see that it would appeal to a

collector(I am not). The 35/2 Summicron-ASPH (new) is not so far off

in price and I read nothing but praise. I am a newbie and will be

buying M6 along with either of these lenses later this week. I expect

that I will be happy with either lens butI do not know either of them

(nor any other). I have no expectation that either lens will result

in me being a better photographer, for the moment I would just like

to be a better shopper. Must also say that I enjoy this thread-group,

that you give the time and patience is appreciated.

If you are getting a Titanium M6 TTL, either lens comes in

Titanium finish. If you are getting a Black or chrome M6 TTL,

then either Titanium lens will look goofy IMO. But that is up to

you.

As far as performance, the new 35/2 is a steller performer,

where the older lens is known for its' softer rendering of

light...AKA "that Leica glow". So, it depends on what your

expectations are, and the kind of subject matter you like doing.

Given that this will be your only lens for now, I'd get the 35/2

ASPH. And I'd get it and the body in black crome finish.<div>004UWu-11307984.jpg.221dc7f92974e0c4c6f6e6072570e075.jpg</div>

Hi Guys:

I just happened to see your post. I happen to have a near-mint titanium Summilux-M 35/1.4 for sale. It is a gorgeous lens. Besides the "Leica glow", this lens is very compact -- about half the size of the aspheric Summilux. This makes it a wonderful high speed street lens. The glass is perfect and there are only the slightest traces of usage on the barrel. It has the rear cap but no shade or front cap. I would trade it for a 28/2 Summicron in good condition or I'll take $1200 for it. Shipping to Australia would be no more than about $50. Please e-mail me at cfsremote@lycos.com if you're interested. I can e-mail photos. Yours, Cameron Sawyer

P.S. -- the titanium finish, if you haven't seen it in person, is fantastic. It is extremely hard and almost impossible to scratch (the finish is created by actually plating the camera body with a layer of titanium metal). The titanium body has the additional benefit of coming with a milled brass top plate, instead of the cheaper zinc of the black and silver bodies. Unfortunately all that comes at a price -- the titanium bodies are very expensive. New black or silver gray market M6 TTL's go for about $1500 here in the States, while titanium ones go for $2,000 or more.

My own M6 TTL is black, which is the worst finish from point of view of durability. I highly recommend the titanium M6 if you have a choice and don't mind paying the extra money. Otherwise, the silver one is better than black and costs the same. It is a matter of taste, of course, but I personally think any finish Leica lens looks good on any finish body. The great Leica expert Steven Gandy (www.cameraquest.com) agrees except for silver lenses on black bodies.

The titanium lens (which is dark, kind of smoke colored) looks gorgeous on my black body, except for only one thing -- the black body fades and shows wear very quickly, and the eternally new-looking titanium kind of makes it look shabby in comparison.

One big advantage of black lenses (in my opinion) is that they are based on aluminum instead of brass barrels. So they are lighter. On the other hand, the brass barrelled lenses are smoother focussing and have more of a quality feel. The titanium-plated brass-barrelled lenses, in particular, are just gorgeous, real jewels, albeit noticeably heavier than the black ones.

You know Ray I was wondering the same thing. I've had mine for almost a year now and I keep reading about the black chrome looking like shit after a while. Well how long is "a while"? Or better yet, so what?

I think the only people who worry about this stuff are the same ones who still have the plastic protective strip that comes on the bottom plate of new cameras.

Regards,

A point worth noticing is, a black body with black lens is always less noticable than a titanium or chrome. I would assume that you see more pro's with black combo's than etither chrome or titanium. Don't think I ever seen a pro with a titanium combo, "all" NG shooters seem to go for black, and we all know their budgets are " tad" higher than us average Joe's...

Go black, I traded a chrome equipment for black, it took a heavy beating money wise, but still haven't regretted it.

Patrik