Sony Nex 5 questions

<p>I'm thinking of getting a Nex 5 and an adapter to use some of my old Leica, Nikon and Canon screw mount lenses with. My main question is, I know the camera is auto focus of some kind, the Stats mention nothing of manual focus, just how does this work? is it as simple as focus with the lens and you can see it on the screen? that would be cool.<br>

I also want to know, do the Nex cameras have image stabilization? I kind of need it as I'm used to it with my Canon and these old hands are getting shakey..LOL </p>

<p>Essentially, yes. I use almost entirely legacy manual focus lenses and occasionally lock AF lenses in MF for better control. The camera need to be in Manual or Aperture priority. Any adapter for a legacy manual mount need to give you stop-down control of the aperture and forget about full aperture focusing or metering. You can open up to full aperture to see what is going on in poor light but have to stop down for metering and exposure.</p>

<p>No, the NEX cameas do not have in-body stabilization. Like Canon and Nikon, they rely on the image stabilization being in the lens.</p>

<p>I have a NEX 7 and my camera came with Focus Peaking -- a manual focusing aid. The NEX 5 should have it as well. You have a choice of peaking colors and peaking intensity. I chose Yellow and High, respectively, for my NEX 7. I find that, for general photography,, this feature works well. But if I'm after critically accurate focusing, I'll still double check enlargements of the actual image before confirming focus.</p>

<p>I bought my NEX 7 mostly because I wanted a good digicam that I could shoot my legacy glass with, especially Canon FD. It has been a real boon in that regard, so yeah, I can highly recommend the NEX platform for shooting with cool old mf glass.</p>

<p> </p>

• 2 weeks later...