How do you carry a ULF camera?

jerald_brodkey

Having just gone up to 11X14 from 8X10 and 5X7, the problem arose, how do you

carry your ULF camera? It won't fit in my f.64 backpack and I haven't found a

suitable backpack among the kind made for camping. I did find a travel bag to hold

camera and film holders, but the total weight is more than I would want to backpack.

And that doesn't include lenses, tripod, etc. I would be interested in knowing specifically how you all carry your equipment, 11X14 and larger.

Many thanks, Jerry

Most of the time I use my Jeep to carry my 8x20. :)

Really, I think the longest I've carried it was about two miles. I just set the camera up on the tripod and then put the whole thing up on my shoulder. I have an old protfolio case from school that holds a pair of film holders nicely. It also tends to balance me when I carry the camera. I use an old amo case from an Army/Navy store to carry an extra lense, the Amo case can go over my should (it has a strap) or attach to my belt.

Its still easier to use the Jeep.

George Losse

Full size Chevy pickup truck with high cap. <s>

I have a camping backpack that will hold my 7x17 inch Korona with a

couple film holders. Keep looking for a pack with the right

dimensions. I have yet to find a pack that will swallow my 12x20

camera which lives in a heavily padded case from Strebor. Camera,

couple lenses, three film holders, focus cloth, all fit easily. But

it's heavy and awkward, even with a shoulder strap.---Ca

The best way I've found for carring around a really big camera is a big assistant. The second best way is to use an old push golf cart, mount the camera on the tripod and stick it where the clubs would go, you can hang bags full of holders off the cart. If you're shooting small stuff like 5x7 or 4x5 some carts have built in pockets which will hold many holders. Look for a cart with big wheels for going over bumps when walking the trails.

Get 12x20 in its case off the car, get bag with film holders, lenses, gizmos and 8x10 off the car, get tripod off the car. Carry bag with film holders, etc and tripod to place I want to photograph. Go back to car, carry 12x20 to place I want to photograph. Did not like the composition, get bag with film holders and tripod, carry to new set up point. Go back carry 12x20 in case to the new point. Hmmmm...I liked better the first point, get bag and tripod carry back to the original place, go back carry 12x20 in case back to the original place....ah what the heck, take the 8x10 out, put on tripod with a lens set up, put back the 12x20 in the car....After a few outings I canceled my gym.

George hit the nail on the head with his post. These freighter frames are used mostly, I think, by hunters wanting to carry deer meat, etc., out of the woods. You can lash the camera and a bag with the holders, another small bag with lenses, to one of these and carry the tripod in your hand. I got this setup to the top of Machu Picchu (not recommended), but to stay in a reasonable comfort zone, you can carry that rig a few miles without undue misery. My camera is a 12X20 Wisner, about 28 lb, and I'm nobody's idea of an athlete.

Good luck,

Nathan

What Jorge said! Tickled me. Couldn't say it any better. After 1 outing where I actually carried the ^*&-%*^& thing around in the Bristlecones at 9600 ft. I haven't ventured very far from the Ford Ranger. I'll pack the 8X10 around a bit but not the 11X14. I'm putting a 7X17 together that has promise though. It actually seems dainty next to the 1114. And I'm enthused about the aspect ratio.

jerald, My 'dorff has been spending the last few months riding around in a GI surplus ALICE pack(The large one, not the medium) it costs about $60 at a army/navy surplus store and can hold more thanI would wnat to carry. It's got room for the 'dorff, darkcloth, loupe, filter kit, lens cleaning kit(or a half pint of vodka and a piece of old flannel shirt) two lenses on 6"x6" boards(complete with big honkin' No.5 Universals) and eight film holders plus it has a nice sturdy frame for lashing on the tripod. Please don't think I actually carry all this. One lens, three film holders, drink the vodka first and carry the tripod is my standard MO and is about all my old back can take for any distance, but the ALICE can hold it all if you're up for it. The other two means of travel are either in a cooler in the trunk(keeps things insulated during the hot summers around here---no ice!) and aboard Milly the Mule. Good Luck!

SEATTLE TIMES, 1-19-03: A man and a yak were detained by police this evening in the downtown area was looking like a peeping-tom -- looking into 5th-story apartments from street level. The man, identified as a Mr. ~cj, was seen leading the heavily laden yak on a long leash. Police officer Marge N. O' Verrah, questioned the odd couple at the scene. Mr. ~cj said, "I'm really a ULF photographer. Honest. Wanna see my tripod?" Officer Marge said it was the largest she'd ever seen. Mr. ~cj was turned over to the station commander, Haywood U. Buzzoff, for further questioning. The officer also questioned the yak, named Pickup N. Droppoff, regarding the suspicious appearance of the pair. Droppoff responded that . . ."I'm a rental yak from the local camera supply store." He was released on his own recognizance and was last seen heading in the direction of a local Starbucks carrying a 9' tripod (biggest one he'd ever seen), a 11x14 field camera and 10 sheet film holders. Said the yak, "Maybe I can be home in Bremerton by evening."

Submitted with tongue firmly in cheek and apologies to N. P. R., "Car Talk", Click and Clack - The Tappet Bros., Manual Transmission, Chris and yaks everywhere. Oh, and also to Bremerton, WA - a very nice place. Regards, Steve