Bronica SQ-Ai stopped working, options?

rainchik

<p>I was interested in trying medium format photography, so I purchased Bronica SQ-Ai from a Craigslist seller. IT came with depleted batteries (no leaks), I've installed new ones and at first it kind of worked. If I pushed on battery check light button red LED was lighting up.<br>

I switched it to multi-exposure mode and cocked the shutter, however pushing the shutter button didn't release the shutter, was just lighting up the same LED. I removed the lens and re-attached it and shutter started to work. I was happy :)<br>

<br />Next day it stopped working :( Pushing battery check or shutter buttons didn't light LED and didn't release the shutter. I measured batteries that I took from the camera and they were reading fine 1.5v, still replaced them with four new ones - nothing.<br>

Tried to clean all exposed contacts in battery compartment, on the prism finder, back, lens and on the lens connector with alchohol. Still nothing.<br>

<br />Any ideas what might went wrong? Or how to attempt fixing it?<br>

I've seen people mentioned here that they found repair manuals online, my googling only found ETRSi repair manual here: http://butkus.org/chinon/bronica/bronica_etrsi_repair_manual/bronica_etrsi_repair_manual.htm</p>

<p>Alexander, it might be worth just tensioning the springs on the battery holder with a small screwdriver to ensure the batteries are a really snug fit. It's also worth cleaning the batteries with a clean cloth and not handling them with bare fingers when inserting then into the battery holder.</p>

<p>They changed battery compartment design in SQ-Ai :)<br>

There is really no way to put a single PX28 or 4LR44 battery in it. There are contacts for four individual AG13/LR44, and there is a holder where you load them and install into camera.<br>

I also don't see any springs in the battery holder, just four metal contacts</p>

<p>That is the primary reason I sold my SQai . I got tired and frustrated with fooling with that battery holder/ compartment. Like the other poster suggested, try tensioning the spring, or just fold up a small piece of paper a few times and place on top of battery holder so when door closes, it creates pressure. Or do what I did and get yourself an SQ-A . The battery design of the SQ ai was a major downfall.</p>

<p>I had the same experience with my SQ-AI as Kenneth. At times I had to press on the battery door for the shutter to fire. I put a small piece of card stock on top of the battery holder to create more pressure on the electrical contacts. That worked most of the time, but it also put pressure on the battery door, causing it to pop open occasionally, dumping the batteries on the ground. I finally got fed up and replaced the camera with an SQ-B.</p>

<p><em>I also don't see any springs in the battery holder, just four metal contacts</em><br /> Alexander, the metal contacts are sprung to hold the batteries, and are the springs I referred to. It's essential to make sure they are a tight fit against the batteries.<br /> In spite of what others are saying the design of the holder was hardly a major downfall, and I've never had a problem with the battery holder in the SQAi. However, I would agree that the original battery holder in the SQA was a better design.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I had a similar problem with my first SQ-Ai body. I cleaned every electrical connection I could find with a pencil eraser. Just like with yours it seemed to work for a while whenever I did anything to it. But upon return it would no longer work.<br>

I know this probably does not help in your case but I sent the body back to KEH in exchange for another one that worked fine. However, it did not solve other problems with the battery in the end. If I forgot to turn the camera off the battery would discharge quickly. One time in less than 30 minutes. Even if I locked the shutter button it would sometimes get itself unlocked resulting in enough shutter depression to discharge the battery. Consequently, for awhile I just removed the batteries between outings. But I had to remember to do that. I ended up just getting a motor drive which takes 6 AA batteries I have not had any battery issues since doing that. It is hard to say though whether or not a motor drive would have solved the problem I had with the first body.</p>