Classic Manual Camera Weekend, August 12

<p>Nice Plymouth, Donald. Of course for many years the Dodge Dart and Plymouth Valiant shared body and drive trains. During the mid 70's Chrysler followed a trend that was developing: making upscale models based on existing compacts. This gave us the Dodge Aspen and Plymouth Volare. However, most of the car programs I've watched and other media tend to show the Dart and Valiant rather than its more expensive cousins. Also interesting are the sporty coupe versions: the Dodge Demon and Plymouth Duster. Regardless, I love car pictures.</p>

<p>Don, Plymouth must have been buying 283cu.in.engines from GM for their Baracuda? Just kidding! The engines in the Cuda was either a 225cu.in slant six (super great engine) or a 273 cu. in. V8. I had a duster with a 3spd on the floor and a slant six that you just could not kill. I know cause I tried. My buddy had a cherry red Cuda with a 273 cu.in and my other buddy had a gold Cuda with the same engine. But my best friend had a 1966 Sports Fury with 383cu. in., dual exhaust, posi-trac, 4 on the floor and a fifth under the seet. He talked his dad into buying this a a family car and it was factory stock. I'm going to try and dig some old pics up and post if I can find them.</p>

<p>Don, I miss type occasionally too. Not an uncommon mistake when it comes to engine size. To be honest I was always a Chevy man/fan until I was back from Vietnam and discharged from the Marine Corps. That stint must have changed me and I bought my very first Ford...........a 1969 Mach I Mustang with a 428 Cobra Jet engine. That car could fly, but could not make it past the gas station. I had it a year and a half and sold it. God I wish I had that car today, but I had gotten Married and moved on to the 1970 Duster with the slant six. Now that car could make it past several gas stations. </p>

Hi John, it was part of a steam-powered tractor on display at the Brooks, OR Steam Up. 'Rough day w/ cable release failure, one film back locking up. After 1pm, all shots were hand-released & I was afraid to expose longer than 1/15th. 'A very fun day. 'Have lots more images of the Steam-Up, including a steam-powered ice-cream maker.

'Hope you have some fun this wkend.

<p>Great photos this weekend, everyone. And always fun to discuss classic cars. BTW, the Duster really shines if you can find one with the 318 cid V8. At the other end of the spectrum a saying that was popular back in the 70's (at least where I live): In front of every line of slow-moving traffic is a little old lady driving an olive green Valiant.</p>

<p>Just reminded me of an incident in Florida. We were driving down the road and out of no where a car pulled out right in front of us and almost caused a multicar chain accident. Then it proceeded to continue down the road at around 15-20 mph. Of course it had a couple probably over 85 years old. Suddenly the pickup behind us pulls out and passes us and pulls in front of the offending vehicle. Then we see in the rear window of the pickup the hairiest moon I think I ever saw. BTW, the Volarie was just a duster to me but they changed the torsion bar suspension to a crossbar susbar suspension which seemed to me to be a great ingenious innovation but not technological advance. They used this for many years. Chrysler was run by engineers and at the same time had awful quality control control while GM was run by marketing which always made their cars at top shelf (a few more horsepower, a little more plush and a little more plush and ewith attention xtra rubber for softer ride.) I always thought the REDESIGNED Reliant could have been one of their top classics if they took the time to do it right with attention to durability and quality.</p>

<p>Hello everyone. Don't get this ol fut started on "My First Car"...it was a 46 Dodge with fluid drive. A beast, but got this teen around.<br>

I now have another CMC in the house....a Zorki 4 with an Industar 50mm lens. It arrived from Ukraine and I detailed the "ills" of it's age and origin. I DID NOT expect a working camera (""but it's in VG condition..RIGHT !) but it's ill's can easily be cure with a CLA. I did load an old roll of Lucky 100, got the goodie bag and headed to my fav marina. Used several of the high speeds (they worked), mounted the camera on a tripod, and did some test shots, being force to zone focus as the range finder was TOTALLY out of wack. The last 6 on the roll were hand held, again zone focusing. Obsidian Aqua and V800 scans.<br>

Post development and I am surprised with the camera. Sharp negs that go to 11x14. Film was rotten, so no biggies coming up. I like the heft of the camera and think it will be a good packer on the scooter in Hawaii.<br>

Here are three. Enjoy, Bill</p><div>00e5wn-564881784.jpg.f5f5d571b8dea7e638e4a496a050aa54.jpg</div>

<p>Gremlins about...Now for the last picture. I like the weight of this camera when in the palm...it burrows in, where my K1000 slides about. Oh, Brad Cloven is to blame for this "new" camera...he let me use his Leica M-3 at SOVREN.....for less than 2 minutes at that...now I'm hooked into the RF groups. Bill</p><div>00e5wt-564881984.jpg.1c325792bb12fe6102dbe1a89db7fa53.jpg</div>