Is the K5 replacement the K50?

mark_stephan2

<p>The 23MP K-3 current model replaced the 16MP K-5 series. Don't ask me why the model numbers count backwards. These are all professional or advanced enthusiast- oriented camera designs. They have a top LCD display as well as the larger rear LCD screen, and are weather/dust sealed so shooting in rainy conditions with a WR lens attached is no problem. The controls, being of professional design, feature many that are on-body and instantly accessible, rather than accessed in menus, as well as both thumb and finger control dials. The K-5II was an upgrade of the K-5 in several respects, especially the autofocus speed and accuracy. The K-5IIs is built without the usual AA filter, which produces a very slight smoothing to reduce any possible moire artifacts. The omission of this filter is for a slight but definite gain of fine detail resolution. The K-3 is very unusual in that it features a different type of AA filter that can be switched on or off. The K-3II features a built-in GPS locater, but has no built-in flash. All four models are unusually compact and lighter in weight, and less expensive, compared to most other camera models in this class by other brands. All are capable of producing very high quality images.</p>

<p>The 16MP K-50 is a terrific bargain. It is designed for the less experienced photographer, having convenient controls for addressing different specific photographic "scenes" for those who may not know what adjustments are likely to be needed for each "scene", i.e. portrait, landscape, etc. It is often chosen by K-3 or K-5 series owners as a second body, because it is even more compact and even lighter, and is most remarkable at such a low price in still having many pro-style features, like weather sealing and both thumb and finger dials, which are not found in models in this class by other brands. You'd have to pay far more to get these advantages. Gone, however, are a number of other on-body controls whose features are now in menus, and the top LCD panel is missing.</p>

<p>The KS2 is like the K50, but adds a rear LCD screen that can be pulled out and rotated to more easily use live view to frame shots from overhead or at very low positions. It also upgrades to 20mp and also features the switchable type AA filter. But these additions cost more. As to image quality, you probably would not or rarely see any difference between them.</p>

<p>BTW, having more MPs alone does not guarantee more satisfying results. In most cases, beyond a certain point, unless you intend to make a poster size print, or view on a very large screen, you'll be hard pressed to see any difference based on more MPs. 16MPs is a very substantial degree of high resolution in these APS-C size sensors. It is also true that as the MPs go higher, it usually becomes more difficult for designers to effectively preserve detail at higher ISO settings for low light shooting, while smoothing out the increase in noise grain. That is not to say the K-3 does not offer any advancement, such as again with AF speed, but the other models are still very functional. Depends on your particular shooting interests as to how the cost increase might be worthwhile.</p>

<p>I noticed K-50 bodies still in stock at B&H Photo selling for around $300 new, depending on color. Some colors move faster and cost a little more, others move slower and cost a little less. Right now, all black is $306, while a white and black body is at $294. I think shipping is free.</p>

• 2 weeks later...

<p>Zane, that chart isn't a bad summary. I sort of wonder about K100D/K100D Super as 'Mid-range'.</p>

<p>In my version, I'd have K100D and K100D-Super as Entry-Level, and I'd move *ist DS and *ist DS/2 to Mid-range, as these had the improved pentaprism viewfinder and TTL flash vs. the truly entry-level *ist DL. </p>

<p>And the K100D was pretty much an *ist DL + SR (shake-reduction) and better JPEG engine, and the K100D-Super was pretty much the same except for SDM lens support, so I'd have called these entry-level.</p>