Sunset/sunrise and Natural locations in Honolulu, Hawaii

sunnyindy

<p>I'm staying in Honolulu in mid June for 5 days.(+Kailua for 4 days) I'd like to shoot some beautiful landscape/ocean (may include city). I'm planning to spend some hours in Hanauma Bay area, and look for some good spots along Waikiki and Diamond Head area. Do you have any suggestions? Good sunrise/sunset locations? I will appreciate any ideas!</p>

<p>My wife and I were there 2 years ago. First, the surf: The famous big surf happens in winter and the waves are on the north shore. We were there in July and I was astonished to get to the Banzai Pipeline and Sunset Beach on the north shore of Oahu and find surf that was every bit the equal of the pool in my back yard! During summer, the surf is smaller and comes up from the south. That works well for Honolulu. There will be surf at Waikiki, and school will be out, so there will be surfers at Waikiki. The problem is that the shape of the bottom at Waikiki cause the waves to come up and break a fair distance out from the beach - a 300 mm lens on a DX body wasn't really very good for this - if you want to get surfer shots at Waikiki, you'll need to bring a longer lens.</p>

<p>The northeast and east sides of Oahu are not the prime tourist area of the island (it's residential), so there's a distinct absence of tourist-friendly businesses like restaurants. But the landscape is beautiful, the surf is better than Waikiki, and the surf will be full of kids. Pretty country with kids having fun - a good combination.</p>

<p>Waikiki is an interesting place to just shoot as the day goes on, but I got some really good sunset shots by walking east along the beach toward Diamondhead and shooting back toward the beach/city at sunset. There's a city park across the road from the beach near the foot of Diamondhead - it was full on kids' soccer teams all practicing and made for a few nice shots with Diamondhead as the backdrop.</p>

<p>We also toured the Dole Plantation north of Honolulu - that was so-so - amusing but not a great photo op.</p>

• 3 weeks later...

<p>Aloha!<br>

I was in Hawaii last year and have some items to share:<br>

Waikiki: as Bob stated above me, the area is very touristy, though they are starting to cater to the upscale tourist. Perhaps the best photo op is from the Sheraton on the western edge of Waikiki. The second floor from the top (forgot the floor number) has a lounge that is open to the hotel guests. Though I was not a guest, I rang the bell on the outside and they let me in with no questions. Bring a dark cloth or towel as you will be photographing though glass and I had a big problem with reflection. This is the "aerial" shot that every one gets.<br>

Waikiki hotels: don't forget the hotels, from the historic Hawaiian Royal to the infinity pool at the Sheraton, there are some great photo ops here too.<br>

Byodo-in Temple in the Valley of the temples, is a beautiful Buddhist temple. It is especially beautiful on a cloudy/rainy day, with low hanging clouds obscuring the mountain tops behind. This is on the windward side, so cloudy/rainy is the norm, even when it is sunny in Waikiki.<br>

Manoa Falls is another beautiful site, a large water falls dropping into a small pool. The falls requires about a mile hike to the base. The hike is pretty flat and would be realtively easy, but you are walking through a humid rain forest that may slow you down. Also, this is not a secret or hidden falls. It is fairly popular, expect to share your moments with other visitors.<br>

Dole Plantation: as Bob stated, nice tour etc, but not too many photo ops.<br>

Pearl Harbor: you must go here, even if you are not taking photos. If you are, plan for an early morning visit, The light is the best, there are less crowds and the military visitors from around the world usually come at this time. I was there with military visitors from the US, Singapore, Canada, Australia and Japan (!). Men and women in uniform paying their respects is quite a moving sight. <br>

Honolulu: Oahu is criticized for being too urban, but this may be good for the photographer. The best part is the State Capitol, the skyline from the state capitol building, and Chinatown. Go to Chinatown in the early morning for shots of the locals shopping at the fruit markets. <br>

Punchbowl Cemetery: It seemed nice, but most of the monuments were closed for renovation when I went. I cannot give you better advice. <br>

Polynesian Cultural Center: maybe too touristy, and I was dragged there. However, it was much better than I expected. Plus I got some nice people shots<br>

Waimia Bay Beach: Cliff jumpers!<br>

The list can go on and on and you will probably not get everything the island has to offer. Rule of thumb: get what you can get and don't get upset. </p>

<p>Been a while, but ... Kailua on the North Shore. The Chinese Market in Waikiki as mentioned, for sure. Some of the Antique shops. If you are into Street, I got a kick out of the contrasts in clothing in the business area of Waikiki along the beach. Bikinis to business suits. Japanese Honeymooners, determinedly working on sunburns to take home. The Royal Hawaiian. Near the Dole Plantation were some very small local food shops along the road -- the famous Mixed Plate and other exotica. Off the beaten track was the best in general. A car is pretty essential. As always, the light, early and late. Can't recall the name but there was an open air family style Luau restaurant in a kind of industrial park that had a sunset view that was beyond fabulous, the food was good, as was the entertainment the beer was cold, but the view at sunset! If it is still there, someone will know. Have fun! Post some when you get back -- doubt I'll get there again.</p>

<p>Thank you for detailed location information! I will try the view from Sheraton for sure, and Chinatown in morning.... and many other places. I took a note for all of suggestions. I really appreciated that all of you spent sometime to write great suggestions! I am leaving to Hawaii on Monday.</p>