Canon TC 1.4x and 2x

jeremiah_boucher1

I just saw the image of the little bird shot with an EF 75-300 IS USM and TC 1.4x.

<p>

Will the canon teleconverters also work with 75-300 non IS USM lens? Do I need an extension tube? If so, which one?

<p>

I would also like to use the canon TC's with my 100 f/2.8 macro, is this possible, with which extension tube?

<p>

thanks, jeremiah

You can't use the 75-300 IS or the 75-300 non IS without adding an extension tube.

<p>

A 12mm tube works fine, but you lose infinity focus. If I remember right, the 75-300 IS will focus from up close to about 5 or 6 feet away with the tube and a 2X. The 100 f/2.8 macro will take the extender with a 12mm tube, but the most distant plane of focus drops to only a few feet away.

Jeremiah, With the use of any extension tube between the lens and the TC, I believe you can use any lens. Without the extension tube, I don't think you'll be able to use the Canon TCs with your 75-300 lens, nor with most other non-L series lenses. I think it's a matter of them not physically matching up. The Canon TCs protrude into rear of the lens, and most lenses simply do not have the room behind the rear element for the TC's protruding sleeve. I think there are other non-Canon TCs that will fit; of course then you'll have the problem of degrading picture quality.

The image quality of the 75-300 at 300mm is sufficently marginal

without a TC, that adding one wouldn't be a good idea even if you could. But you can't, not the Canon TCs anyway.

<p>

If you don't care too much about image quality, a Tamron 1.4x TC

will fit, and on a good day you might even get limited AF. If you get 4x6 prints from the local supermarket, you'd probably not be totally

unhappy with the image quality.

<p>

The Canon TCs will physically fit all Canon lenses if you use a 12mm extension between them.