the differences between these cameras but could not find everything I

wanted to know. I am looking for a light, fast to operate 2x3 with

moderate shift and tilt possibilities for architecture. I would not

need extreme wide or tele lenses.

which one has a focal plane shutter (I am rather interrested in a leaf

shutter)?

which camera has the most movements? I understand that the crown has

the least possibilities for movements.

which restricts me the most using wide angle lenses?

can the range finder be adjusted to the different lenses?

how is the 2,8/80mm schneider lense compared to the 101mm or 103mm

lenses?

which camera would you recommend?

thanks lot

sebastian

They are all the exact same camera, including the lens movements, except for the following: 1) The SPEED GRAPHIC has an additional focal plane shutter which the other do not. The CROWN and CENTURY have only front (between the lens shutters) which the SPEED usually has, also. 2) The SPEED and CROWN have Mahogany bodies, while the CENTURY has a plastic body shell which made it a little cheaper to produce.

I personally prefer the crown, same movements but without the oh so heavy focal plane shutter. I am not sure exactly, but I think the rangefinder can be adjusted to most lenses. I had a 4x5 Crown for years with a 90mm Angulon which worked very well with the camera. However as I recall (although it was a long time ago...), I tried a 65mm and it wouldn't work. For the 23, a 65mm should work, although graflex.org will have the definitive answer. The 80mm f2.8 Schneider Xenotar should be a very good lens. They are pretty cheap on the used market, and should be quite sharp. However, no movements with 6x9. The Graflex-branded lenses should be ok (made by Rodenstock?), although I would prefer one of the Kodak Ektars. Both the Kodak and Graflex (sp?) lenses should cover basic movements.

I have a 2x3 Century (= plastic-bodied Crown) and a 2x3 Pacemaker Speed.

There are two big differences between them: the Century has a shorter minimum flange-to-film distance while the Speed has a focal plane shutter. There are some minor (to me) differences: the Speed weighs more, offers about an inch more extension.

They have the same movements, equally minimal. Shift is at most 10 mm and is difficult to use without introducing a little unwanted swing. As delivered, getting forwards tilt with the cameras is a tussle; one drops the bed, shifts the lens up, possibly tilts it back a little ...

The 80/2.8 Schneider won't cover 2.25 x 3.25, the 101 and 103s will. Of the 101/103/105 mm Rochester-made lenses for the cameras, I like the 101/4.5 Ektar best. I had a 105/3.7 for years, didn't like it as much as the 101/4.5.

Of the Rochester-made w/a lenses for these cameras, the 65/6.8 Optar/Raptar (same lens, different engraving) won't make infinity on my Speed, the 80/6.3 WF Ektar will. Can't speak to the 65/6.8 Angulon, never had one.

I have an unbadged Rochester-made (not Wolly or EKCO) 65/8 that looks somewhat like a Super Angulon, it will make infinity on my Speed. Other modern 65s might too.

I have a military surplus 38/4.5 Biogon that Steve Grimes put in #0 shutter for me. It makes infinity on my Century but not on my Speed. Doesn't quite cover 2.25 x 3.25. If you want wider on a Century, get a 35 Apo-Grandagon, it covers.

Within limits (not sure what they are, go to www.graflex.org and ask there), the Kalart range finder can be adjusted to work with a variety of focal lengths. Adjusting it is a time-consuming iterative process, so changing lenses and readjusting it is not practical. If you are going to use movements, you won't use the rf, you'll focus on the ground glass.

Its hard to know what to recommend. If you're going to use only lenses in shutter, get a Century, they cost less than Crowns and every one of them has a Graflok back. I didn't think I'd ever use lenses in barrel, but now I have 4"/2.0 TTH lens in barrel being put on a board for my Speed and a 12"/4.0 TTH in barrel coming. No certainty that the last one will work at all on my Speed, I'll find out. Both from Vinten F95 cameras.

This is a little on the side - but I woukd strongly recommend You to have a look at the Horsemann Press/970/980/985/VH cameras. They do all any of the Graflex'es do (except focal plane shutter) but are metal bodied, very stable & solid and have technical (ala Linhof) backs for tilt ca. 10 degrees in all directions. The earlier models (press is the first one) can be found with lens for less than $ 300. Range of movements increase dramaticly with the never models. VH/VHR haver rotating backs - other are horizontal oriented back as Graflex.

A look at completed items on e bay gives an example. But this one is w/Linhof grip + roll-film holder adding to expences. Camera w/lens less grip & roll-holder probably $ 100 less. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1948861831&category=710. Good luck

Tor Kviljo

• 2 years later...

The Century is incredibly light weight. If you want to backpack a 6X9 that has interchangable lenses and ground glass focusing, this is the camera.

6X9 in practice is FAR larger format than 6X7 if you scan and print with 13" inkjet printers such as 2200 Epson...I make 12X18 on 13X19 sheets...full use of the uncropped format. 6X7 is only 12X14.