Lightroom rename not working

<p>Lightroom 4.4 and I have not used LR for import for almost a year - so I'm rusty. It's possible I never used 4.4 since upgrading from 3.6<br>

<br /> I imported about 100 images from my camera, but specified the wrong import location. I then use LR to "erase/forget" the new images and deleted then outside LR. When I import again, the raw files .RAF get renamed correctly, but the jpg do not get renamed [and LR gave a warning message on each of these files]. In addition, there is no image showing in LR, just grey frames. The first import had images, and the jpgs open outside of LR with a good image showing. I can add keywords to these images, but i don't know how, cause there is no XMP file.<br>

<br /> I formatted the camera, took a new pic and it imports and renames correctly, with an image, and an XMP file when I add a keyword.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>First: LR does not need XMP files to store keywords etc. Instead it uses it's own catalog for this. In fact the catalog is the heart of LR. You can enable settings in LR so that info is written to XMP files as well. <br>

It's not clear to me what causes your problems since there are many variables involved. Perhaps the easiest way for now is to split up the tasks and do them step by step; manually and/or using LR: move the files to the right folder using explorer of finder when you're on a MAC. Import files into LR. Check whether they are present and rename. <br>

One thing to look for is whether LR 4 supports the RAW files from your camera.</p>