Nikon EM shutter sticking problem.

butchie_anderson

I'm new to the world of photography and have been using a hand me

down Nikon EM camera for the past year with no problem. I took it to

Colorado last week, but never took it out of it's carrying case.

When I returned from my trip and began using the camera again, I

found the shutter seems to be sticking after I press the shutter

release button. It stays there for seconds, but eventually resumes

to normal and allows me to take other photos.

WHat is causing this? Could it be that I traveled with it at a higher

altitude?

Is this a common problem?

Expensive to fix?

What do the experts at photo.net recommend?

Thank you for the information!

Most obvious suggestion first: Insert new batteries.

If that doesn't make your EM behave...

Consider whether there is any pattern to WHEN the shutter sticks. Only at the start of a roll, or only at the end, or always in the middle? Only sticking when in "A" mode but fine in "B" or "M90"?

If there is a pattern, that might be a clue leading to advice on a solution.

Sadly, the EM body is not worth sending in to Nikon for repair (unless the particular camera has some sentimental value for you) because you can get nice used EM bodies for $85-$110, less than the typical repair bill.

If you know of a handy local camera repair person, ask whether your EM could be examined and fixed for a reasonable fee.

Good luck and have fun.

I'll add my vote for a dead battery. The FE I had for a while behaved this way when the battery was flat. Was it cold in Colorado? Cold is hard on batteries.

Second possibility: simply dark outside or lens cap on? "A mode" will time exposures out to many minutes.

Third possibility: mirror cushion foam sticky and holding the mirror up? This is a do it yourself fix on an EM. Seek advice before starting.

• 3 months later...
The meter coupling lever on the camera body is probably sticky causing the shutter to remain open longer. To check just rapidly change the aperture on the lens (when it is mounted on the camera) and watch the meter coupling lever which is located on the camera body just at the back of the lens. If it moves very slowly or not at all, this is probably the problem. It is usually worse at lower temperatures. A little bit of rubbing alcohol applied with a toothpick along the meter coupling collar and working the lever back and forth may free it up