Sigma 150-600mm with Nikon 1.4TC

eric_m4

<p>I don't think it is a good idea to add a TC to one of those lenses. The maximum aperture at the long end would fall below f/8 and autofocus would likely not work in a useful way if it works at all. Furthermore, while these are nice lenses as such, teleconverters work best with fast supertele primes (300/2.8, 400/2.8, etc.) and I suspect the optical quality of the combination of 150-600mm zoom and TC would fall below expectations.</p>

<p>I don't think you can fit any Nikon teleconverter to a third party lens without modifying it first. There is a tab fitted to prevent coupling with non Nikon lenses. <br>

I have the Sigma Sport 150-600 and it does work with both the older Sigma 1.4tc and the new 1401TC. According to Sigma only the new version should be used. I have it mounted on a Nikon D750 and auto focus works well, even in poor light. The loss of image quality is probably not as much as you might expect and it works well wide open at F9. I'll try and upload some image samples taken with the combo later, if anyone's interested.</p>

Part of the reason I don't like Sigma and Tamron's 150-600mm zooms is that they are f6.3, which makes Nikon AF

problematic. My 80-400 and 200-500 f5.6 AF-S are fine under good light, but they tend to hunt under dim light. Adding a

1.4x TC will only make f6.3 a lot worse. Additionally, optically zooms don't work well with TCs. I would only use such

combos if you have low expectations and static subjects.

<p>I had a 150-600 sport for a couple of weeks to try (comparing to a 200-500). It came with a serialized matched 1.4TC. I can't find my notes but from what I remember I was quite impressed with its performance and image quality with the TC. If I can figure out how I'll post a test shot or two.</p>

<p>In the end I chose the 200-500. Weight and aperture were key points from what I remember. I'm also planning to get the 300/2.8 FL when it comes out and if it's like the current 300 will work well with TC's including 2.0 which will give me a decent 600 capability for the few times I need it. Otherwise I <strong>might</strong> have gone with the Sigma.</p>

<p>I appreciate all the advice but I'm very much aware of all the pros/cons of teles. Sometimes getting an inferior shot is better than no shot at all. So lets take it from the top, boys & girls: </p>

<p>Does anyone know if the Sigma 150-600mm (Contemporary or Sport version) is compatible with Nikon's 1.4TC? Or do you have to buy Sigma's teleconverter? Thanks.</p>

<p>I use Nikon's latest TC 1.4 with my Nikon 80-400 and auto focus works and the quality is pretty good. I then tried to put my 150-600 S on the same TC and it wouldn't connect mechanically. As a result, I bought Sigma's latest TC 1.4 to use with the 150-600. The auto focus worked but the image quality wasn't very good. From a point of reference, I also think most Nikon TCs aren't very good but their latest TC 1.4 seems to be a major improvement. </p>

<p>Michael, is there insufficient clearance on the rear end of the 150-600 to mate the TC-14E III or the extra tab on the TC is blocking things?</p>

<p>I once tested the Sigma 70-200mm/f2.8 OS lens. The extra tab on the TC-14E blocks it from mounting onto the Sigma lens.</p>

<p>Shun, I just tried it again at home and I cannot figure out why the 150-600 S won't connect to the TC 14E III. The diameters seem to be OK but when I actually try to insert the two pieces together, there is some sort of extra metal on one side, maybe tab, that keeps it from connecting. Short solution, carry the Nikon TC with the 80-400 and the Sigma TC with the Sigma lens. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks Michael. While I have no access to the Sigma 150-600, it sure sounds like its Nikon F mount is like a non-AF-S F mount (or those shorter AF-S lenses that are not intended to accept TC-nnE conveters). The longer AF-S lenses have an extra gap in the mount to accommodate that extra tab on the TC-nnE teleconverters.</p>

<p>In other words, filing off that tab on the TC side may potentially make them work together, but one can only say that definitely after closely checking both sides of the mount.</p>