<p>I wish to get Wacom intous pro medium size but it's too expansive that I can't afford to buy it. I usually used for photoshop and lightroom but I really feel that I need a tablet for retouching work. There are some cheaper versions but some photographers told me those are totally trash. Should I just get a cheaper version? </p>

<p>Benjamin, I bought the medium Intuos a year ago--and rather wish I had gotten the smaller version. Whilst it may be "all that" for illustrators and designers, it has far too much pad real estate for simple editing and retouching. I use about a quarter of the pad.</p>

<p>The smaller unit comes in at a better price...</p>

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

<p>A 6"x 8" tablet is as large as most people would need, and a 4"x 5" tablet is probably enough at half the price. The Intuos model has the best features for retouching, but a Wacom Bamboo is also a popular model. Wacom tablets have a very high resolution and pressure-sensitive pens. Some cheaper models may fall short.</p>

<p>I've got the base model Intuos (A5 sized) - it's large enough for my occasional uses and doesn't cost a whole lot. I think the larger sizes are better if you really use it with drawing programs (Painter, Illustrator, stuff like that). For Photoshop and similar, the smaller ones can work equally well. I would the cheaper brands, though, regardless of size. Wacom is a bit the standard for these devices, and they've got affordable products.<br>

Realistically though, it's a luxury convenience - I could also quite easily do without. So if budget is really tight, I'd simply would do without.</p>

<p>Benjamin,<br>

I have the Watcom Bamboo. Small in size, footprint & cost. I use it almost exclusively with Photoshop. Haven't ever though I needed a bigger/better model. For retouching work it will work fine. Between the brushes available through PS/LR & the the software picking up the pressure sensitivity of the stylus you should be able to do what you want.</p>

<p>The biggest difference is the degree of pressure sensitivity (2048 instead of 1024 levels) and the pens. The "standard" Intuos is basically the replacement for the old Bamboo line, so it looks like there are fewer pen options - according to the website, the Airbrush isn't compatible. <br /><br />The Pro is the successor to the Intuos 4 & 5, and uses that line's pens. Glancing quickly at the website, I can't tell if the new non-Pro tablet pen supports replaceable nibs or not. Their website's a bit of a mess.<br /><br />I bought a small Intuos 5 as a Wacom refurb through Adorama a couple of years ago, happened to hit it when they had some and the price wasn't bad. I use it mostly for photo touchup (film / slide scans, and print scans off a flatbed). I generally use the grey "hard felt" tips, gives the pen a bit more resistance on the surface, which I prefer.</p>

<p>A hearty 'second' on the felt tips over the hard plastic. A much more controlled tactile experience for editing over illustration.</p>

<p>1024 levels of pressure sensitivity is more than ample for basic editing and creativity. All too often in our quest to have the 'best' we choose a shotgun to kill a fly with... :-)</p>

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!