Shutter button weak?

andrew_menasce

<p>Hi All,</p>

<p>I own a mkiii. I must have shot close to 150.000 pics with it. I noticed that the shutter button has become "weak", meaning i sometimes have to press it 2 times for the camera to focus/take the shot. It's not as sharp as before. Has anyone experienced this? i had the same issue with my 7D. It happens often during a busy day (when i shoot more than 500 pictures in a single day). <br>

Im just curious to what this could be. Should i send the body for a service? I read that replacing the shutter before it fails makes no sense. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>It could just be that the shutter button assembly is slowly dying. Given the amount you use the camera, it's certainly plausible. If you don't want to do it yourself, I'm certain Canon will take it in for repair to replace the shutter button. Obv it won't be covered under warranty, but if it's troublesome like you are describing, it's probably well worth the cost of the repair.</p>

<p>I'm not sure why you'd replace the shutter though... Two completely different components.</p>

I am sorry to hear about your 5D II. I had a

similar situation with 10D long time ago.

Marcus is absolutely right on this. The vertical

grip shutter button worked with no problem in

my case. I ordered parts from Canon and did

replace shutter button and it worked fine. It

involves soldering four small connections right

under the shutter after taking apart outer

shells of the body. My 10D still works, 40D is

getting there, 5D III is too young. IMHO it was

not hard and part was cheap (order two if you

are concerned). Good luck.

<p>Thank you both for your replies. It does make sense that the actual button is dying. I am not sure i would be able to do it myself and dont want to mess the camera by opening it..I'll ask Canon for a quote.</p>

<p>By the way, is there anything similar to a refurbishing service that Canon offers? </p>