Which Polaroid back for Hasselblad?

kamil_richter

I was thinking about getting Polaroid back for my Hasselblad 503cw,

But I found, that there is more than one brand. I found some NPC (I

believe)backs and than Hasselblad backs on the internet.

Also they all looked different, probably older and newer versions.

I was thinking about getting used one, but don't know if it is a good

idea.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

Kamil

Polaroid peel apart film was DESIGNED to work with cheap crummy cameras. The most important thing is to clean accumulated gunk and dirt off the rollers every couple of packs. Other than that they're all pretty much fool proof. Make sure it clips on to your camera solidly and that the darksilde goes in an out easily. NPC has been around for a long time and makes good backs.

At one point Polaroid made a camera called a Square Shooter that took slightly smaller packs. Hasselblad made a back for it because the 'blad doesn't need a full 3x4 back. These are very well made backs, but you can not get Type 88 film for them. It's been unavailable for years.

I use a Hasselblad PolaPlus Polaroid back on my 503cw, There is an earlier model called PolaBasic or something like that. From what I understand the main difference is that on the PolaPlus back the darkslide doesn't have to be pulled all the way out (unless you want to) you just pull it out to the detent. The PolaPlus back also doesn't interfere when you put the camera on a tripod. Also I use a PME45 finder on my 503cw and the PolaPlus back accomodates it nicely. If you use a 90 degree finder on your camera some Polaroid backs will not clear the finder because they are mounted high on the camera.

Some of the NPC models (MF-1, MF-52)hang below the camera body so you have to use a riser block between the camera and tripod. The NPC MF-2 mounts high on the camera like the Hasselblad PolaPlus. Whatever brand/model you choose do so carefully especially with regard to finders, if use just a waist level finder then it's not so much of a problem.

Thank you guys very much for your advice on polaroid back.

It gave me pretty good orientation for what to look for.

I never thought that certain backs cannot be used with certain viewfinders and on the tripods.

And since PME 45 viewfinder is on my wish list, your input is very helpful and will save me some troubles in the future.

Thank you once again.

Kamil

• 3 weeks later...
I have two NPC backs, one for colour, the other B&W. The NPC backs work with my PM90 prism, which won't allow any of the Hasselblad-brand Polaroid backs to fit (Polaplus, Polabasic, or the original 100). I once owned a Klinger Polaroid back for Hassy, and it worked with the original 90 degree prism, but not the current PM models. I too use the 503CW, along with the Winder CW; if you intend on getting this winder in the future, then stay away from the old Arca-Swiss Polaroid back (won't attach to body with winder in the way).