Normal Bokeh

cody_houston1

The 50mm 1.8 CAN do bokeh 'well,' but not consistently. Depends on the circumstances and exposure settings. The 50mm 1.4 is really very good in that respect. I've read that Canon has been trying to imitate Leica bokeh. Although i don't know that this is true, the 1.4 reminds me of the Leica M's 50mm Summilux.

And, no, although I had previously believed that bokeh characteristics are primarily determined by the number of aperture blades, I'm finding that not to be entirely accurate. I've felt for a while that one of the best lenses for bokeh is the Rolleiflex TLR's 2.8 Planar - witness Avedon's work out of studio. But, the Rolleis have only 5 blades. As do the Hasselblad 80mm lenses, which usually don't do bokeh the way I like it....

There is also the factor relative to the shape of the blades themselves. Apparently, some lenses with (relatively) few blades have CURVED aperture blades, which helps to smooth things out somehow....

Sorry. Got carried away. Can you tell i'm obsessed with this subject? I could give you a list of all the lenses with 'great' bokeh.... but you only asked one simple question, right? Sorry. Canon 1.4 is much better.

i think , it's the background blur effect , be it circular or hexagonal , sometimes they tend to look like half or quarter moons , to make your main subject stand out. my favrite is the bokeh i get from my 100 mm F2 ,when shooting portraits.

and just about anything , sorry tried to find a sample shot to show you , haven't really scanned a lot of shots to my hard drive yet , my son does that for me , i'm ignorant about high tech stuff.someone from this forum will probably be able to send you a sample photo later ,,pc