L37C Nikon filter

juan_bonet

Hello to everybody.

I usually use Nikon filters, but I've a problem with the UV filter

L37C. When I trie to clean with Kodak Clean lenses fluid, appears a

matt layer over the filter and is near impossible to clean with Kodak

tissues for lenses or Hama cloths for lenses.

I would like know if it happen to anybody more.

Thank you very much.

Juan B.

If you then breathe on the filter and continue to wipe it, eventually you'll get most of the smear off...but soon you'll have coating marks from the wiping as Nikon's coatings are soft. I replaced all my Nikon L37C's with B+W MRC "multi resistant coating" filters. They are quite easy to clean, don't smear, and are remarkably resistant to abrasion from normal wiping. They are also much better multicoated, in fact looking at them from certain angles you can't even tell there's glass in them.

Years ago Nikon started telling users of their lenses and filters that they should use denatured alcohol to clean multi-coated elements. The Kodak Lens Cleaners, and most others, leave the hazy residue you see. Try some alcohol or Everclear and it will do a great job. I carried a small container in my camera bags for years. Double duty for a frustrating day. Seriously, it is not for consumption but it is the answer at least for Nikon lenses and probably others.

<i>"as Nikon's coatings are soft."</i> -Rubbish. Nikon's coatings are as hard wearing as any other maker's multicoating.<p>Use only breath and lens tissues to clean lenses and filters, and you'll have no smearing problems. Lens fluids will just gather grease and any other contaminants from the lens surface, and worse still from under the mount, and spread it around. Cloths will just gather grit and scratch your lenses.<p>Use a tissue for ONE cleaning and throw it away. No smears and no scratches - unless you clean your lenses in a sandstorm!

A post yesterday mentioned the use of denatured alcohol as a lens filter cleaner. The author made a joking reference to it serving a "dual purpose" as a alcoholic drink. As to this form of alcohol, the poster did warn "seriously . .. it is not for consumption."

However due to the irreversible delayed reaction to ANY ingestion of this stuff, I feel compelled to add the following: Denatured Alcohol is 16.4 percent methanol. One teaspoon of methanol can cause total blindness in an adult; two teaspoonsful has caused death within 8 to 24 hours.

The kidneys and liver metabolize methanol into two lethal chemicals--formaldehyde and formic acid. I have treated two cases of what appeared to be incidental, minor methanol absorbtion--a mouthful of windshield washer fluid immediately spit out. But the hospital blood tests later showed methanol toxicity from absorbtion through the mucous membranes of the mouth.

I say this is no joking matter. [Yes, there are circumstances where someone drinking a cupful will show little effect the next day because of competing metabolic reactions, but lets not even go there.]

Methanol is seriously poisonous over 90-percent of the time it is ingested and survivable only if the victim seeks immediate advanced medical care. --C. Peter Jorgensen, NR-EMT.