Mythical (?) lens hoods and filters for a Hasselblad Zeiss CF T* FLE F4 40mm lens

richard_lane3

Hi there.

I have picked up a Zeiss 40mm f4 Distagon T* CF FLE lens for my Hasselblad 500 C/M body. A marvelous lens.

Because it is so nice and I want to look after it, I feel nervous that I will damage the front glass and would like to protect it by having a lens

hood that was at least 2 cm in depth or a "sacrificial" filter on the front. I am having considerable trouble finding our what to look for.

When I purchased the lens (second hand), there was a metal "ring" that came screwed in to the front of it. It has "Hasselblad 093/40

Sweden" written on the inside, and I believe that it is known as a "lens hood and shade" and that it goes by the model number 40693. I

can't see that number written on it anywhere, so I might have the wrong model number.

It may provide some shade for the lens. but it is less than 1 cm deep, and doesn't provide much additional protection.

Is there a "deeper" lens hood? Or a way to attach a filter? This seems to be a popular item for discussion posts. However, the

suggestions always seem confusing. I have sourced some very simple and suitable FotodioX lens hoods for my other lenses, but they

don't seem to have one for this lens.

Can anyone here help me out. Any advice will be very gratefully received. Hasselblad 5 digit model numbers would be particularly useful

to avoid confusing.

Thank-you in advance.

:-) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)

• Like 1

<p>I think you will find that the ring unscrews into 2 parts and plain unthreaded filters will fit in. They sometimes are hard to unscrew and my recommendation is that you use a sheet of rubber or two and try not to 'squeeze' the ring as you grip it, use flat surfaces to get the friction you need.</p>

<p>Congratulations on getting your 40/4 FLE. I use one, and it offers a different perspective altogether. Use Series 93 UV filter Hasselblad 51411, which fits in the 2 part lens hood you already have. The only "Deeper" lens hood would be the bellows type Proshade 40740 (6095), and the lens needs a special ring Hasselblad 40746 (6093 Ø93) to make it work.</p>

<p>I use a compendium (bellows) shade for the CF40. You need a 93 mm adapter for the shade. With a lens this wide, you don't get much "shade", but every bit helps. The adjustable shade works out well for me, because I can adjust it to fit the FOV of a digital back.</p>

<p>While bulky by itself, a compendium shade is a lot easier to carry than an handful of conventional shades, which don't nest together and won't fit inverted on the corresponding lens. In order to use a cable release with the shade in place, you need that little angle adapter to provide clearance for the cable.</p>

<p>I have the F50mm f/2.8 which came with a 093/50 series 93 adapter for filters, and I believe it is very similar to the 093/40 adapter on your lens.</p>

<p>The thread on the front of the 40mm FLE is 86x1mm, which is the same as my F50mm where I'm just running a low profile 86mm threaded filter and a generic metal threaded wide hood. Unfortunately, the 40FLE has an internal lens hood that extends out past the filter threads which may interfere with a direct mount filter. I do know that people have used an 86mm to 95mm filter adapter, and used 95mm filters and hoods on that lens. You just have to be careful and make sure the filter adapter has a 86x1mm thread - some (or a lot) have a 86x0.75mm thread. If you just want a better lens hood, you can source a generic metal 86mm hood, but some trial and error may be necessary to find one that does not vignette.</p>

"Manfred, there is a design problem with that camera...every time you drop it that pin breaks"

Hi there.

Thank-you Douglas, m, Edward and tom for your replies. I am overjoyed to have such a wealth of information to consider ... and so

quickly.

I think that the first thing that I will try is to to separate the metal ring into 2 parts. I doubt that this will be easy because it certainly doesn't

look like it has 2 parts!!!

If successful, then I can look at sourcing a "Series 93 UV filter Hasselblad 51411".

I will also do some research on generic 86mm lens hoods (with 1mm thread), and the Proshade.

I shall report back in due course. Thank-you again.

Well, I am back to report on my findings.

You lot are amazing. Using the method suggested of pushing down on a rubber mat to gain grip rather than squeezing, it

was possible to separate the metal lens hood (40693 ?) into two sections. I wonder why no-one mentioned this aspect of

the lens hood in any other thread that I have read on this subject ?!!!

I got my hands on a 51411 Haze filter and found, as was written above, that it dropped in nicely between the two parts of

the lens hood. What's more, it looked like it was just clear of the metal built-in lens hood petals when I screwed the 3-

piece assembly onto the front of the lens. Phew!

I also found a 40746 "adapter ring" that could be used in place of the outer half of the existing metal lens hood. This

would provide a "different" level of protection for the front of the lens, but I gather it is mostly used so that a Proshade can

be attached.

For now, I am happy with the solution of a "sacrificial" filter being in place between the front glass and the big, bad world.

My eternal thanks to you all.

:-) ... MomentsForZen (Richard). [P.S., I still shake my head that the advice that you all so expertly provided here hasn't

appeared elsemwhere on the many, many threads on this topic that I have read]

• Like 1

<p>Here is a copy of a post I got on the APUG site. Good info which I used for my 40 mm FLE<br>

<br />A great filter option for the Hasselblad 40mm FLE…<br />So my biggest hesitation in getting a Hassy 40mm FLE was the odd-ball filters size of drop in 93mm. There are *very* limited options out there and what there is to be had is very expensive even used, almost always over $200. In comparison, there are tons of 95mm filters out there and often for not a lot of money. <br /><br />I primarily use 3 filters in my black and white photography on wides, a polarizer is not one of them, too uneven in the sky. The three I do use are an R72 for infrared, 10 stop ND filter and a 25 red. The red and yellow is available as 93 drop in but the other two are not. <br /><br />So I took a really good look at the lens when I got it, played around with finding the cut off when a filter ring would show in the frame at F22, closest focus, etc. and came up with a couple of ideas. <br /><br />Here is what I settled on:<br /><br />The first item I ordered is this 93mm to 95mm adapter ring (http://www.ebay.com/itm/93mm-to-95mm-Step-Up-Ring-Filter-Adapter-for-Hasselblad-/120770206314?pt=US_Lens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item1c1e771a6a), made specially for the 40mm FLE and 350mm CF. It was shipped fast and the machining is perfect, no burrs. <br /><br />Next on the list were the filters themselves. The red was easy, I found a brand new in the box B+W for $80. I then found a 9 stop ND filter (http://www.ebay.com/itm/181286556393?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649) for $99 and a 720nm IR filter (http://www.ebay.com/itm/121255578239?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649) for $57.22, all three filters threaded perfectly onto the adapter. The ND filter was exactly 9 stops and actually had better color correction than the two 10 stop B+W filters I have which tend to trend warm, not a big deal for black and white work. The 720nm IR filter was also perfect, tested with both Rollei IR400 and Efke IR820. Both filters are made well enough and have very even coatings, sharpness on par with B+W glass.<br /><br />In my opinion, this is the way to go for filtering the 40mm FLE, better than adapting the built in shade removed 86mm to 95mm version because the standard lens cap fits over the 93mm to 95mm adapter perfectly. And of course, far better than the silly 93mm version filters. As for shading the lens, some will argue that this can get in the way of using shades like the 6093T and the like, but I use things like ball caps, my hands with black glove liners on to do that anyway and usually shoot in light that it simply does not matter as much.<br /><br />So for the average price of one 93mm drop in filter, I got the three filters I need the most and the adapter ring. Hopefully someone else can try this out too and enjoy a cost effective way to filter the 40mm FLE.<br />Last edited by PKM-25; Yesterday at 01:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.<br />"I always put my fb prints in a filled aquarium on the wall.<br />No problem with dry down times..." APUG'r Willie Jan<br /><br />http://www.Kodachromeproject.com</p>

• Like 1

Hello Carlo.

Many thanks for providing that information. I shall study it carefully and go from there.

I am further amazed at the wealth of knowledge here and the spirit of cooperation displayed - everyone is so willing to share their

knowledge and wisdom.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
VERY useful information Richard and Carlo, I have EXACTLY the same concern, having purchased (used) a very nice 40mm Distagon CF FLE for my Hasselblad. I didn't know what to think about the lens shade 93/40 (you call that a shade?). All I need is a "sacrificial" UV and also a red filter. Thank you. I'm new to this forum and already amazed.