Flash unit for Hasselblad 903 SWC?

stephen_mcateer

<p>Old Metz hammerhead-bracket flashes are cheap and easy to come by these days. Nobody wants them since the introduction of digital E-I-Adyoh-TTL, which incidentally is no more reliable than the old Auto-Aperture flash mode IME.</p>

<p>A Metz 45-CT5 with standard P-C connector would give you all the control you want I believe. It has a built in flip-up WA diffuser. Just check that the battery pack is in good condition, since a genuine Metz replacement is expensive and re-celling the battery packs yourself is a pain.</p>

<p>Stephen, I've also used the Metz 'potato masher' units with the Hasselblad. I use two 70mz-5 units bounced into umbrellas. Just one will easily light up a hall. Like RJ said, the batteries aren't as spry as they once were. Each one is about $100 USD. I actually used a Quantum Turbo battery over my shoulder to power them most of the time.<br>

All my flash equipment is for sale online if you are interested.</p>

<p>SWC's are usually an Architectural or Industrial photographer's choice and I've never heard of anybody (in those genre) wanting an on camera type flash so what do you want to do with it? The 38mm lens is not much different to a 40mm lens of the other models but at least with those you can focus through the lens making them more suitable for fitting and using with a flash.. Basically, any flash with a high output (to compensate for the reduced depth of field), an auto mode and a sync cable would work.<br>

Quantum X5d-R in 400Ws configuration, Lumedyne with Auto module, Sunpak 622 would work.. With a square format - go with a parabolic reflector head for best efficiency and to cover the wide angle of coverage.</p>

<p>Ian - thanks. I want to do some selfies with it. Anyway, I dug out an old Metz 45 CT-4 with bounce card and it seems to work okay. Just a bit cumbersome. I also bought a Metz 36 C-2 on ebay for a trivial amount of dough plus a cheapo bounce diffuser for it from Hong Kong. I'll test that setup and see how it works. Will be more compact than the 45 but not as nice a light and less power. We'll see. Thanks again for your help.</p>

<p>OK, here's an idea (might work depending on lens diameter). Remove the viewfinder, fit a <a href="https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sunpak+D12&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwib-uDHkeTJAhXGwBQKHfJ3Cv4Q_AUICSgD&biw=1264&bih=731#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=sunpak+Auto+Dx12R">sunpak Auto Dx12R</a> ring light, (cheap on auction sites and really useful) sync through the PC port and get happy selfies with Auto exposure, low bulk and neat lighting.. :)</p>

<p>Thanks again Ian. I looked at the Sunpak you suggested. It would have been an ideal solution. But then I looked at the front of the Hasselblad's lens and it turns out it has a bayonet filter adapter, not a threaded one. Quite disappointing. I'll wait till I receive the 36 CT-2 from eBay and see how that works out. (I'm also off to eBay again to lok for a bayonet to thread adapter.)<br>

Cheers.</p>