Configuration software for Nikon?

PapaTango

<p>After many decades in the amateur radio world--I have gotten a bit spoiled. Ham transceivers--especially smaller handheld VHF/UHF units are notoriously difficult to program. Multiple menus, sub-menus, etcetera. Not much different than the current batch of DSLR offerings... :-)</p>

<p>One thing that makes life easier for us with our ham gear is programming software. Plug in a USB cable (and integral controller) to the unit, and ALL of the configuration options and frequency settings are available for mouse click on a larger screen. Now, would it not be great if such a thing were available for DSLR?</p>

<p>I have looked in a number of different google searches for such a thing that could be used to program U1, U2, and general settings on my D7100. So far, I find nothing. Is this truly the case? Is there such a thing--maybe packed inside of some tethering program--that allows us to program the options?</p>

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

<p>No such animal to the best of my knowledge Patrick. Although I've never used the expensive Camera Control Pro.</p>

<p>Actually a DSLR camera interface is much more user-friendly than that of any amateur transceiver I've come across. Radio displays are often limited to a seven-segment style or dot-matrix two or three line alphanumeric display. And DSLR manuals are much better written than the "Chinglish" garbled manuals that come with most radio gear. So it's difficult to imagine what advantage a full-screen computer display would add, apart from simply being bigger.</p>

<p>I was afraid of that, Joe. The strongest advantage besides from speed and convenience (reading glasses are a PITA) would be saving multiple profiles. I currently have U1 dedicated to general RAW shooting, and U2 set for interior, speedlight use at max JPG. There are a couple other scenarios--such as 'family stuff' and 'architectural' that quick access to those configs would be nice. I currently do that each time in either Program or Auto...</p>

<p>On another note, it would be nice if the Chinglish manuals were larger too... I used to have current interface apps for Alinco, Icom, and Yaesu--all third party written. The old Rat Shack scanner programming cable was the secret to them all. For my antique Icom T8A HT, I have complete profile sets for locations in 3 different states. Five minutes with the laptop and I can go back home and irritate everyone on the local repeaters with little effort...</p>

<p>73 de AE1PT</p>

"I See Things..."

The FotoFora Community Experience [Link]

A new community for creative photographers.  Come join us!

<p>Nikon's Camera Control Pro has some setting you can play with. Exactly what it can do depends on which camera you have.<br>

You can find 30 day trial version here:<br /> http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/165/Camera_Control_Pro_2.html</p>

<p>I shoot manual mode and spot metering so usually there is very little to change beyond shutter speed, aperture and iso. And for autofocus I use AF-On and AF-C with release priority which works in a very wide range of scenarios. So most settings are just set once and then forgotten.</p>

<p>Once you know how to navigate the menus (and it doesn't take long) Nikon's menu system is fairly easy to navigate. I was able to get to every single setting without thinking much about it within a week of owning the 2 Nikon DSLRs I used to own.<br /><br />That said, maybe I'm not the best judge. I use Olympux µ43 now and everybody complains about how hard the menu system is and I find the interface really easy.</p>