Sync cable insulation disintegrating

kparratt

<p>I am wondering if there is a slave trigger unit I can attach to my Metz CT45-4, or is it worth asking Metz if they still have a compatible sync cable to replace this one. The cause is probably the constant high temperatures here in Thailand. I'm buying additional, later Metz units, but don't want to be disgarding this one.<br /> Also lost a Schneider 90 Angulon due to lens separation. Investing in humidity and temp controlled storage safes to avoid further losses, but that's another story.<br /> Thanks for your thoughts<br /> Kevin</p>

<p>Paramount either stocks or can custom make pretty much any sync cord that ever existed. I'm not familiar with your specific Metz -- does it have a standard household (two prong) sync connection or just this proprietary connection?<br /><br />A slave trigger, radio trigger etc. won't do you any good without a sync cord to plug into it.</p>

<p>This would appear to be your cord, available at B&H Photo in New York. They ship internationally, but if they have it presumably someplace closer to where you live has it also.<br>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/35056-REG/Metz_MZ_5521_45_49_Coiled_PC_Sync.html">http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/35056-REG/Metz_MZ_5521_45_49_Coiled_PC_Sync.html</a></p>

<p>I received a reply from Metz in Germany today, with the words:<br>

<br /> " Thank you for your inquiry.<br /> Yes, sync cable for 45CT-4 is currently available at our service centre. "<br>

<br /> And I was also given the contact details for the agent in Bangkok.<br /> However, I've just now seen that link Craig, and yep, that's it. I may well be just as easy to buy from B&H, because they have it in stock, and it's anybody's guess as to how long the Thai importer will take to get it in, then invent a price. <br>

Cheers, <br /> Thanks everyone.</p>

<p>Since the cable is useless as it stands, why not see if the Metz proprietary plug can be re-used. Try cutting the plastic through along the wire line until the inside ends of the contacts are exposed. There are only two used contacts, and it should be possible to solder a new P-C cable to them. If you have a multimeter you can buzz out the existing wires and see which contacts to aim for.</p>

<p>The removed plastic can be made good with hot-melt glue or epoxy. It won't look nice but at least you'll have a serviceable cable.</p>

<p>I've had issues with Metz CTxx-x cables as well. I had one that looked perfectly good but it had corroded internally and lost continuity. Unfortunately the contacts had corroded so badly that I couldn't repair the plug as described above.</p>

<p>"Low price" ? - $22 for a simple P-C connector seems a bit expensive to me, especially since old Metz flashes are being sold complete for that sort of money.</p>

<p>Incidentally Kevin, have you measured the output of your old CT45-4? All my CT45-x hammerheads have exactly the same flash power as practically any decent modern hotshoe flash will give you. A GN of 45 they certainly ain't got and would probably be equalled in power by a YN560. The YN560 will almost certainly better the sluggish recycle time of the Metz.</p>