Opnions sought on Sigma 50-500mm "Bigma"

rodeo_joe1

<p>I've just come across a Sigma 50-500mm Nikon fit lens in a local pawnbroking shop at a very low price (<£200 UK). I know this is far less than the going used rate for the lens, so three parts to my question:<br>

1) Anything I should look out for? - Like known issues or common faults.<br>

2) If you own(ed) a Bigma, how useful do/did you find it? Because it's a bit too bulky for a slow 50mm!<br>

2) Is this lens worth it at any price? - i.e. would I be wasting my money because it's optically inferior at the long end. I already have decent lenses going out to 400mm + an old 500mm f/8 Reflex-Nikkor that I'm not too happy with.</p>

<p>I might just buy it anyway if it's in good working order, if only to sell it on and make a bit of money.</p>

<p>Which version? OS or the older non-OS?</p>

<p>IMHO, for that price, the OS version is worth it. Like you said, if nothing else, you should be able to resell it for a profit.</p>

<p>The non-OS version has noticeable CA, and lower contrast, and IMO not quite as sharp as the OS version, esp. on the long end (although that may just be because it doesn't have OS). If you can get enjoyment out of it, then why not? But it would be a little tougher to sell at a profit.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Thanks Keith. I think it's the non-OS version. I didn't get a good look at it because it was locked away in a glass security cabinet and didn't have the time to ask for a good look at it. I'll go back tomorrow and examine it properly, but from the rubbery finish on it I'm pretty sure it's the older non-OS model.</p>

<p>Rodeo Joe, I remember when it first came out. I purchased one in Pentax mount for a trip to central and then south america. I thought the image quality was pretty amazing to be honest. at F/8 it was really, really good at all focal lengths. Focus speed was slow, but then Pentax bodies are super slow. I use to go to horse races and car races all the time. This was perfect for that on a mono pod. When I switched to nikon I sold the lens. I did not think I would ever miss it, but I have. A few weeks back, one came on sale on Craigs list for $600.00. When I reached out, it was already sold. Less than a day and it was gone. In my opinion if it was good in a Pentax K20D 14MP slow as molasses auto focus with ISO capabilities of 1600 max, I can only imagine it behind a Killer Nikon D7200 or a D750 with killer ISO and AF speed. But it is a heavy beast. Around 5lbs if remember and it adds up the more you walk. Lile Kieth said, you can always flip it. A birder would buy it a minute.</p>

<p>I owned one briefly many years ago, and found that the image quality on the long end to be only good at best (even stopped down), and that the IQ of my Nikon 70-300mm lens at 300mm cropped to the 500mm FOV and upsized in Photoshop was as good or better than that of the Bigma at 500mm. I promptly sold it.</p>

<p>There is only a minimal difference in the FOV between 400mm and 500mm. Since you are satisfied with you current 400mm lens, it might be a good idea to save your money at this time.</p>

<p>It is also a very large and heavy lens, hence the nickname "Bigma", which makes it difficult to use.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses. Though it turned out that someone had switched the price ticket on the Bigma with another item, and when I went back today the price had more than doubled! Also it was the older non-OS version. So not a bargain at all, and I left it alone.</p>

<p>Ah well, it made my mind up for me anyway.</p>

<p> </p>